PDA

View Full Version : At what point is the pan burnt?

sterling gold
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
This year we had several close calls with our front pan because of float issues. Three times the level in the pan dropped to the point where nothing was coming out when the draw valve was wide open and the caramel smell of burning sugar filled the sugarhouse. A bubbling, smoking mass was all that was left in the pan each time.

In these instances we flooded the pan, and drained off several gallons of funky tasting syrup. However, in each instance, we kept boiling with little or no obvious residual funky taste or odor.

My questions which will be clear when we clean the pans are: are the pans damaged? I don't think so since nothing seemed to crystallize or solidify in the pans. What can be done with the "waste" syrup? A friend is going to try and ferment some, but I think the batch he got is particularly burnt tasting.

I know most everyone has had some close calls, though some might not admit it. I'd like to hear some of your stories to help justify my carelessness.

Haynes Forest Products
03-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Sonds like you didnt burn the pans just the syrup in them. Now if you want us to justify the misstep I dont think we can. You jusy have to live with the notion that you screwed up just like alot of others before you and me. Doe sound like you need a better transfer valve between the flue and syrup pans. Wont be the first or last just the LATEST. I would cook it down about 5 points over and put in a bif glass bottle and let it sit and make rock candy....MMMMMMMMMMM

BryanEx
03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
I know most everyone has had some close calls, though some might not admit it. I'd like to hear some of your stories to help justify my carelessness.
I wish I had only had a "close call". :cry: I just posted yesterday to answer your question sterling gold - http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=9063

farmall h
03-30-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll admit it!;) Sterling, just remember to always have much more in your back pan. This season I forgot to open a valve when one holding tank went empty and didn't have anything flowing through the pipe that connects the front pan to the back. I have to have at least 2 inches above my raised flue back pan at all times.

Russell Lampron
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Bascom's will buy that burnt stuff as commercial syrup. You'll get a better price if you filter it first.

maple sapper
03-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I have a special bucket I keep around all season for my junk stuff I come across and bring it to them each spring. Its amazing what kind of cash you can get for something most would dump out or wash down the drain. Throw out nothing and let bascom make something out of it.

Brent
03-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Bad luck or whatever

If you let the level in the pan get low, and then it starts to foam up a lot, there is very little left on the bottom of pan. That bit that's left will burn pretty fast. The foam may be high in the pan and sort of trick the float valve into thinking the level is high and not let in more sap from the flue pan.
Hope this thought helps delay the next one