PDA

View Full Version : buddy syrup sales

mphvermont
03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
ok did search on this but cant seem to get info looking for? syrup is vt st medium amber but very slight buddy taste. we are done for the year but would like to sell this off be like 30 gals. any help is greatly appreciated!

buddy syrup sells as commercial right no matter what grade if off flovor?

how much is commercial worth per pound for this yr?

where is good place to sell?

thanks we are 1200 tap operation in our second yr. didnt make any buddy syrup last yr.

sapman
03-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Bascom's is always buying. Current price I believe is $2.25/lb.

brookledge
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
You are correct, if it has any off flavor it is commercial regarless of the color. Bascom's will buy it. If you have ever been there, they have a chart on the wall where they boil and every year they begin the year making commercial. I would assume it is because so many of their lines are dirty or the sap hangs around along time until they get enough tapped to have enough to boil. After a few boils they are making light amber.
Keith

maple flats
03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
They'll buy any quantity (5 gal containers or bigger only), any grade and without any appointment. You might need an appt if you had a very large qty.

tstew
03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
not to change the subject. I have some commercial grade left over from last year (30 gal) it was at right density when it went in to a drum. long story short local guy wanted it then never showed had to hold drum till this year until local buyers made the rounds. Has strong fermented smell to it can I reboil to get ride of some of the odor. I would like to sell it.

sapman
03-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I sold some fermented syrup to Bascom's a few years ago. I think they'll pretty much take anything.

maple sapper
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I maybe wrong but bascom's will take it and make grainulated suger out of it and ship it to China. When at their open house last spring, they had their wearhouse from floor to ceiling with pallets of boxed grainulated sugar. Every box said produced in USA by Bascom's and the rest was written in chinese. No doubt they are acquiring a taste for maple sugar and they are a huge supllier.

mphvermont
03-30-2010, 09:20 PM
thanks very much people. just what i figured.

gmcooper
03-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Just came from Bascom's today. They said commercial was $2.25 and unfiltered commercial was $2.00. I sold 5 gallon can of fermented commercial last year and they took it no problem.

danno
03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Just came from Bascom's today. They said commercial was $2.25 and unfiltered commercial was $2.00. I sold 5 gallon can of fermented commercial last year and they took it no problem.

Just saw prices from last spring stashed in a drawer. Prices above are the exact same as what my buyer in NY was paying last April.

tstew
04-01-2010, 11:22 AM
thanks for the replies

michiganfarmer
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
so will off flavored syrup make off flavored granulated sugar?

maple flats
04-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Not unless it is a real strong off taste. I "think" making sugar removes any slight "off" taste.

DrTimPerkins
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
so will off flavored syrup make off flavored granulated sugar?

Depends upon the particular off-flavor and the intensity of it. Some of them will volatile off (metabolism, ferment) easier than others....some will not (scorch, burnt).

PerryW
04-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Years ago I had some slightly buddy syrup, which I boiled down further and make maple sugar candy. The stuff was horrible. It seemed that the buddy flavor was intensified.