PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Best Burned Pan Contest!

BryanEx
03-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Okay... so who else besides me burned something they didn't intend to this year (like a pan :rolleyes: )? It is said you are not a sugar-maker until you've burned your first pan and if that holds true I think I'll apply at the Proctor Institute after this one. :D

Ya-ya... I could s'plain what happened and also come up with a better story but.. :rolleyes:

brookledge
03-29-2010, 06:20 PM
You should use a stainless steel pot. Not that it wouldn't still have burned but I know there is some type of reason you should avoid aluminum, I think because of the chemical reaction that takes place but I'm not sure.
Maybe someone else on the trader knows
But anyways you certainly earned your way into the burnt pan club
Keith

BryanEx
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I know there is some type of reason you should avoid aluminum, I think because of the chemical reaction that takes place but I'm not sure.
The problem with aluminum is that it oxidizes if it sits for any length of time (the black stuff you get on your hands when you handle an aluminum canoe for example). It just means it needs a good scrubbing before use and it becomes less of an issue as it's used over the years. Aluminum has been used for cookware for years and still is due to it's heat conductivity but for the record - I boil in stainless but finish in aluminum when I'm processing for myself instead of entertaining families.

Apparently it also has a lower melting point.

Dan W
03-29-2010, 06:38 PM
OUCH!!! Never went that far. YOU WIN!!

Clan Delaney
03-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Here's my contribution, even though it was from 2008.

The horror! THE HORROR!

I cornered the market on crunchy maple carbon blob.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FwSEiH_AdHQ/SUr7Xcgl2NI/AAAAAAAAAjY/IfBFtDYNBx8/s128/P3150093.JPG (http://picasaweb.google.com/pat.delaney/MapleSugarSeason2008#5281309893253781714)
click to embiggen.

jordy95
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
if this is what it talks to be a true sugar maker am all set thanks.

BryanEx
03-29-2010, 07:20 PM
I cornered the market on crunchy maple carbon blob.
My first of two burns looked very similar when I switched to using 100 lbs tanks instead of the 20 lbs. Things evaporated a whole heck of a lot faster than I was prepared for without the tanks icing up. The kicker was I had just bought the pot the day before. :( Ended up taking an angle grinder to it to remove the black stuff and now use it for water for the ducks.