PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Afghanistan

VT maple maker
03-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone here. I missed the sugaring season due to the fact im in Afghanistan. I hope all of your seasons are going well. If anyone has any good pictures from this season I would greatly appreciate a few. My personal email is xlt60011re@msn.com. Myself and some of my soldiers explained maple syrup and how it is made to some of the people here. We even had some shipped to us and let them try it. We got some big smiles and they couldnt believe it came from a tree. Anyways I wish you all the best of luck during the rest of the season. Happy Sugaring!!

Kyle

Ausable
03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Hey Buddy - take care of yourself and may God bless You.
If You had to miss a Sugarin Season this was probably a good one to miss - The weather and Ma Nature have not smiled on good sap flow this year. For a lot of us too cold at first and then way to nice with temps above freezing at night. Only had two good sap flow days so far in my little part of Michigan - but - my trees still have not budded out yet ------ so maybe I'll get enough for one more boil........ Mike

3% Solution
03-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Kyle,
Yup Mike is right!!!
Not a good one this year.

You guys keep your head down!!!!
Thank You for what you are doing for us!!!! :)
Also, tell the other guys Thank You!!!!

As we all know freedom has a high price!!!

Thanks again.

Dave

red maples
03-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Kyle,

first thanks for serving. and I guess it is a good reason to miss the season.

not a good year around NE from all the reports especilly on buckets and gravity tubing and OK if you have vacuum.

Be safe

poulu
03-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Kyle.
my dad and i have 118 buckets in northern VT we are at half of last year maybe one or two weeks left. Our trees are mostly big reds when they stop they stop.
thank you for serving and take care of your self. Bob

Haynes Forest Products
03-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Thank you for your service, THank you for your sacrifice. Can you get care packages with a little aweet in them? Dont be like me and be tempted to pick up everything shiny on the side of the road. Good luck

nas
03-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Kyle

Thank you for your service.
Hope you're back soon to sugar again:D
And thanks for advertising maple products globally. :)

Nick

wcproctor
03-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi Kyle

Thanks from all of Massachusett!
We did not have a good year here wish you were here with us to have the same.
Please be safe to you and all your boy's with you
God Bless :cool:

Revi
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Kyle. Thanks for serving your country over there.

There may be a lot of different kinds of maple in Afghanistan.

I know in China there are a lot of different maples.

I don't think they'll run, but you never know.

I grew a bonsai Acer gennala once, which is known as an Amur maple, with cut leaves from Siberia. Very hardy, but I managed to kill it anyway.

Revi
03-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Here's a map of maple distribution in the world. I think there are maples in Afghanistan, but I don't know what kind.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/a/ad/20071005112334%21Map_genus_Acer.png

Rhino
03-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Hi kyle! A big thank you to you and all those serving!! Poor year in Wisconsin this season. Be safe......Rhino

Stickey
03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you.

JohnsSugarShack
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Just want to say thank you to you and all our troops. Take care and be safe.