PDA

View Full Version : where do i find info on tubing???????????????

cpmaple
03-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Hello to all,
Wondering if anyone knows of a site where i can read up on tubing installation. I want to read on it now so i know what to get for 2011 since i just got a sugar bush that i can put out about 300 to 400 taps and run it to the main rd for pickup. Plus at my sugar bush behind my house i can put about 70 on tubing to help out on the bucket thing and save time for me on collecting. Well thanks in advance if anyone has any info i've already started buying the taps just dont know what else and how to hook it up correctly!!!!! thanks cpmaple

Fred Henderson
03-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Good luck finding that info. I asked the same ?'s a few ago and came up empty.The tubing dealers are missing the boat by not offering that information in a book form. I think it would really promote their sales. I got my done by guess, by God.

PerryW
03-28-2010, 05:51 AM
reading through the posts on this site and checking out some actual tubing installations in your area are better than any book.

maple flats
03-28-2010, 06:44 AM
The best info on tubing is in the North American Maple Producers Manual. It is not covered in depth but it is a good start. Still best to view a set up or 3 and attend a tubing seminar. One is offered every year at the maple conf in Jan at VVS school, in Verona, NY. Others are often held more local to many, but where in NY are you? Verona is in the middle of NY and is held the first full weekend after New Years day. Glen Goodrich also gives several seminars during the year often hosted by a dealer at the dealers location. Leader also gives seminars.

cpmaple
03-28-2010, 07:01 AM
The best info on tubing is in the North American Maple Producers Manual. It is not covered in depth but it is a good start. Still best to view a set up or 3 and attend a tubing seminar. One is offered every year at the maple conf in Jan at VVS school, in Verona, NY. Others are often held more local to many, but where in NY are you? Verona is in the middle of NY and is held the first full weekend after New Years day. Glen Goodrich also gives several seminars during the year often hosted by a dealer at the dealers location. Leader also gives seminars.

I'm located in Crown Point NY which is far eastern ny next to lake champlain. Not to many people in the area make syrup and those who do uses buckets. I'm looking to expand and put it on tubing to save some time but keep some buckets for my 4 kids who love gathering after school behind our home. The ones i put on tubing are going to be about 10 miles from my home that way i can go get it every other day. Thanks for the input will keep my eyes open for anything like that. thanks again chad (cpmaple)

wally
03-28-2010, 08:58 AM
there's a decent manual.

it's called design, installation and maintenance of plastic tubing systems for sap collection in sugar bushes, by d.chapeskie and l.j.staats.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM
The best help you can get is to find a reputable local producer with a larger setup and see if you can spend a couple hours with him walking his bush. He can show you more in 1 to 2 hours than you can get by reading 100 pages of info. He can also take a few minutes and show you how tubing tools work and give you many shortcuts. Take notes and digital pics and you will be well ahead of the same.

farmall h
03-28-2010, 06:45 PM
CPMaple, how close are you to Sarranac...Caseysugarshack has some excellent pics on you tube. Maybe a visit would be helpful to you. I can't speak for him but you should check out his operation.

umpwood1
03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Google..maple sap tubing.. I downloaded some nice reading and information.
Umpwood

Woodland Acres
03-29-2010, 05:18 AM
CPMaple I am located about 10 miles west of Malone you are more than welcome to come and check out my gravity tubing system.

wcproctor
03-29-2010, 07:44 AM
This may help

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/3908
http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/23657
Good luck

umpwood1
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
They are the ones..Great job.
Umpwood

wally
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
they're good for historical reference, but not particularly useful for application today. the maple industry, and tubing techniques/standards, have changed substantially in the nearly 40 years since those were published.