PDA

View Full Version : Smoke stack

Small time
03-20-2005, 08:28 PM
On my 1/2 pint would there be any advantage in having a larger diameter pipe instead of the standard 6" that is on their?
Is it better to have the top of the pipe(exit) open or have a screen with some sort of a cap?

nmerritt
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a leader 2x4 and also use a 6"pipe. I have my stack elbow out my rear wall then up about 4' over my roof. I have a cap which came with the pipe so it maximizes draft. People told me I needed to go straight up, and have a larger pipe but it works fine. I had it boiling out of control in 13 min the other day from the time I lit the paper.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Six inches should be plenty and you might even try a damper to hold in the heat a touch even though it probably wouldn't help. That is a lot of draft on that size and any more and you would be wasting a ton too much heat.

MaineMapleDave
03-25-2005, 02:05 PM
I have been using a half-pint for several years. The 6" diameter is fine. Any larger and you'll lose heat waaay too quickly.

I do have a damper in the elbow that comes right off the back of the evaporator, and usually keep it choked down to be about 3/4 open. Once I get a good boil going, I find that I can manipulate the damper and actually SEE and HEAR an increase in the boil--the cloud of steam will thicken up a bit, too. Pretty cool.

If I close it down too much, there's belch of smoke around the pan, and the boil drops right off.

I don't know if you have the new or old style arch--the new style is supposed to allow a bit more air in, but Leader has told me it won't actually increase the boiling capacity much, if at all. I have the older style, and to increase the draft into the evaporator, I have a small blower hooked up over the little slidey-damper thing. I leave the door slightly ajar, too.

I tried a cap and spark arrestor once and once only. Got the worst possible combustion imaginable out of the evaporator. Theoretically, I don't think it should make any difference, but in reality it killed my boiling. I actually let the boil die down and pipe cool so I could get out the ladder and take off the cap. It worked fine after I took the cap off.

Monkey around with it a bit, and you'll be able to see what works best for your particular setup.

sapaddict
05-09-2005, 08:21 PM
I m also in the stove business and know a little about drafts and chimneys. 6" is ample, regulate your fire through the door, and usual requirments of good dry wood will suffice.

sapaddict
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
I m also in the stove business and know a little about drafts and chimneys. 6" is ample, regulate your fire through the door, and usual requirments of good dry wood will suffice.

VA maple guy
05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
If you don't run a flew cap, you might try a 90 degree elbow. Point it so your prevaling winds help draw out the smoke. When your not running your evaporator, the elbow will help keep out rain water.
gerry