PDA

View Full Version : Tin Pans

Brokermike
03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading to either a 2x4.5 drop flue or a 2x6 drop flue. TThe 2x4.5 looks nearly new and is all stainless. The 2x6 has tin pans that are kind of beat up, but I can buy it for about 1/3 of the 2x4.5. Does anyone have any insight on the tin pans? I know I can buy a new 2x3 syrup pan for the front to replace the 2x3 tin syrup pan, not sure if I can replace the 2x3 drop flue pan??

Both rigs will need to be retrofitted to an airtight front and will require some tweaking to do what I need.

I'm hoping to be up to about 150 taps next year about 100 of which will be on vaccuum. Any thoughts as to what size rig might be the best for this Vermonter?

Haynes Forest Products
03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
My first real rig was English tin and man I was riding in style for a few years. Then I started to expand and started pushing the old thing and thats when the leaks and syrup quality started to suffer. If your going to modify the arch to fit the tin then your over invested in something you will want to change over time. The fact that you took the time to list a FIANCE means you have a commitment problem so its time to do the right thing get the SS:lol:

3rdgen.maple
03-26-2010, 10:25 AM
you know I think the 2x6 might be misleading you in a way. It only has a 2x3 flue pan and a 2x3 syrup pan. Not what you want. You would want a 2x4 flue pan and a 2x2 syrup pan. So what are the size pans of the SS you might actually be getting a better gph of that if it has a longer flue pan. And on the other hand the SS will outlast and have more value in the long run. Also if I recall you said you were gonna run 150 taps? If you want to save some bucks this year run her like you bought it you might not need to change a thing.