PDA

View Full Version : final filter

steve J
03-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Is there a secret I do not know about on the final filtering.I wet the the main filter prior to draining syrup though it and I also put in a liner ( not sure of the name) yet only a quart or so goes through it before it all dams up and slows to a trickle?

mapleman3
03-20-2005, 06:57 PM
it needs to be real hot, if it is not going through hot it may be to heavy in density.

sweetwoodmaple
03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I am assuming you are using a cone filter?

How I avoid this is to make sure to dump as much syrup as possible through the filter at once so you get it to fill up and therefore use most of the filter surface area. I also use a removeable prefilter that fits inside the main filter. Once it stops up, I pull the prefilter out and look down at the main filter. If it is drained, I place another wet prefilter in and dump the old one into it. If the main filter is the problem, I replace it and so on...

As mapleman states, always make sure it is really hot.

Cone filters are not very practical in my opinion, especially if you are using it at the draw off point of the evaporator (like you said, always gets damed up at the bottom).

Flat ones seem to be better since you can use more than just the bottom 1/4 of the filter area. I use cone filters, but am in the process of changing over to flat.

powerdub
03-20-2005, 08:10 PM
If it is a new filter it needs to be boiled in water first. They use some kind of waxy stuff to treat the filter so does not ablsorb moisture and mold on the shelf. If you do not do this you will not get much through it a time or two until you clean that stuff out.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2005, 08:52 PM
I used to use the cone filters and I could filter a lot of syrup through them. I always started out with about 6 to 8 prefilters inside and as one prefilter got clogged, I would carefully pull it out and dump the remaining syrup into the next filter.

Another thing that helps a ton is to have heat under the filter tank so you have steam coming up off of the already filtered syrup and it helps a ton to keep the filter and the syrup hot.

It needs to be as hot as possible! :D

RUSTYBUCKET
03-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I finished off a small batch tonight and only got about 4.5 gallons through the paperfilter and wool filter combo before it stopped flowing.

Russ

VA maple guy
03-21-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Scott, do they use that waxy stuff on most all filters, or just some types?
Gerry

brookledge
03-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Russ,
If you got 4.5 gal through the cone filter, that is good as has been said if you use pre filters it will help you get more through the cone. Some times you might get more or less than that depending on the amount of sugar sand you have.
Also as far as I know all of the final filters are treated when they are new and should be boiled in water prior to using. You can also get off flavors in your syrup from the filter if you don't clean well.
Keith

steve J
03-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Question about flat filters how are they used is there a special frame to put them over or is it something you can make easily?

sweetwoodmaple
03-21-2005, 07:55 AM
There is usually a expanded metal or perforated stainless frame that is used in the top of a square tank. You can then move the tank around as syrup comes out of the evaporator to get a cleaner spot in which to filter.

You can also use a flat filter draped over the top of a round tank. If you push it down in the middle, you can use clamps or clothespins to hold the sides. Warning...don't let too much syrup accumulate in the filter cause if it slips, the dirty filter will fall into the clean syrup!!!

As was mentioned, 4.5 gallons is about as good as you can expect for one filter.

Brian

mapleman3
03-21-2005, 08:49 AM
I usually draw off into a stainless pail, through a prefilter, then when that gets a few gallons in it, I go into my 16 x 16 canning unit with the flat filter and 2-3 prefilters.... the prefilter on the drawoff pail catches at least 75% of the gunk before the canner, and then I can go most of the day with the 2-3 prefilters and filter on the canner... thats about 5-8 gallons through it. I use 2 stainless pails, so one is always empty and ready with a filter.
You cant beat the flat filters... lots more surface area.... If my canner was bigger(say 24x16) I would get more gallons through the filter before it clogged.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
One thing you can do to help a ton is to draw off the syrup and let it set for a few days. The last time I filtered in a cone filter I filtered off 14+ gallons on the same cone filter as I drained the syrup off of the top and saved the little bit with sugar sand until last. 90% + of the sugarsand will settle to the bottom and it makes it so easy to filter. :D

Maple Flats
03-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I filter into a ss container with a prefilter double layer off the evaperator, then immediately pour it into my 16 x 24 canner with a filter rack. in this I first put in the final filter then put 4 prefilters. As a prefilter gets plugged I do as westverginiamapler said and carefully remove the top prefilter, dumping the remaining syrup into onto the next layer. I can filter at least 15 gal this way, which is 1 full batch for the canner. Never tried doing a second batch before washing everything.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Maple Flats,

Seems like you have got it under control and are doing a great job. Don't see much confusion. None of us know very much, just enough to get by! :D

maplehound
03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
my best advise to those using cone filters is to keep extra ones hanging over the flue pan to keep them hot and damp ( not wet) then you always have another ready to go when the one you are using gets cloged and cold. Altough I did finally give up on them and went to a press.