PDA

View Full Version : cleaning hydrometer between tests?

SilverLeaf
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
My hydrometer came with instructions that very specifically said that the readings would be inaccurate if there were syrup or something else caked on it. So I've been extra careful and have been cleaning it and my hydrometer cup between each and every test.

Is that overkill? The problem is, sometimes when getting real close to syrup I need to test it every minute. And it gets a little hectic to try to clean it inbetween.

What do others do?

wnybassman
03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Although I just recently purchased my first hydrometer, the few times I used it last week I rinsed it, and the cup, out every time I used it. About the time I got it rinsed out, it was time to check again. LOL I read on here somewhere that dried on syrup will make the readings inaccurate.

RileySugarbush
03-25-2010, 01:15 PM
The weight and volume of the hydrometer are both critical, so if there is something stuck on it, it can make a difference in reading. A little warm syrup between readings will instantly re-dissolve in your test cup if it is below the syrup level. Some on the top end could throw the reading off a little as well.

But remember that a little rinse water left in the cup can change your sample density too!

Gravel
03-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I clean mine in between boils but not in between every drawoff.

Jeff E
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM
I usually just dip it into the hot sap for a rinse after each use. This keeps it clear.

SilverLeaf
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
But remember that a little rinse water left in the cup can change your sample density too!

I was worried about that, too! :o

Daren
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I always have it clean as I test at the start of any draw. If it tests light at first, I retest when the temp creeps a touch. After the first test, there is prob some sugars left on the hydrometer making it a fraction heavier. Therefore if it hydrometers good the next time, it will be heavy syrup if anything. Most draws have a heavy and needs to be allowed to draw light for a little bit to balance it out. Straight from the drawoff, it is nearly impossible to get it perfect every time. So, I try to nail it the first time then re hydro it at canning to make sure it is right.

michiganfarmer
03-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I dip mine in hot sap between tests, but mine is getting some kind of mineral build up on it that wont even scrape off. Im gonna buuy a new one

maple sapper
03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree with the cleaning after every use. The dried syrup on it will make it read inaccurate as said before. I dont necessarily clean the cup but I do clean the glass itself. I keep a bucket of water in the sugar house for rinsing tools and use my ro to make nice fresh water as the boil is going. I also keep a few towels handy to dry it off in a hurry.

PerryW
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I fill the cup with hot sap to get rid of the caked on sugar, but only every 4th or 5th takeoff. Then again, I am just packing the syrup in 5-gal drums and the density will get checked again when I'm filling jugs.

BryanEx
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
My procedure is to rinse off the hydrometer between uses and to fill the cup, dump it out, and refill each reading. The refill both rinses past syrup out and serves to heat the cup for a more stable reading. I have read that a wet hydrometer is okay as long as it's not "dripping wet".

danno
03-25-2010, 09:11 PM
It may make a differance, but I bet it's less than half a brix. I usually draw of a tad heavy anyway - I like thick syrup.

johnallin
03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
I keep a quart of hot water next to the draw off and the hydrometer is kept in that. After using it , I set it in the hot water, run my hand into the water and then up the hydrometer to rinse. Only takes a minute, keeps it clean and pre-warms it too.

Haynes Forest Products
03-26-2010, 12:02 AM
When I test I run the entire cup amd hydro under the hot syrup to preheat it and clean it. I then hang it from the handle/hook to drip clean. Trying to keep it clean on the outside was a waste of time. To me its like trying to keep the outside of a spoon clean:mad:

Father & Son
03-26-2010, 05:01 AM
I put my hydrometer in the hot sap in the float box between tests. Rinses it off and keeps it warm. I also on the first test fill the cup, let it warm up, dump back in the syrup channel, and refill to test.

Jim