PDA

View Full Version : 500 gal Sunset vacuum tank

mapleack
03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey everyone, I've found a 500gal Sunset vacuum milk tank locally. Does anyone know a ballpark price on what it should be worth? I know $1 per gal, but with it being a vac tank how much more is it worth? Thanks!

Maplewalnut
03-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Andy- Going price for them locally (within PA) seems to be closer to $2.00 a gallon if it is a zero vacuum tank. Make sure to read the plate, some 'vacuum' tanks are not rated as high as you would think.

Good Luck

Mike

maplehound
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM
The value of the tank varies a good bit. First does it work (the refrigeration) if not then it isn't worth as much for continued use as a milk tank. Is it still inside a milk house and how hard will it be to remove it from there? Most Milk houses are made to remove a wall to get the tank in and out but those walls arn't always easy to remove and can be a real pain to replace, which in most cases you will have to do not the farmer. Also remeber that the $1 per gallon is for scrap price and that ussually involves cutting the tank up and seperarting all the diffrent types of metal. Most scrap yards won't do that (at least in my area) I talked to a scrap collector this past fall who said if he knew I would take milk tanks he would have given me one. He took it to the scrap yard thinking he had a very valuable piece of scrap and they wouldn't even give him anything for it since he hadn't cut it up. So he just left it for them without recieving anything for it.

nymapleguy607
03-25-2010, 05:11 PM
I paid $600 for the last bulk tank I bought.
It was a 400 gal tank but it was not a vacuum tank, but it might give you a ballpark number.