PDA

View Full Version : How the sap/syrup this year???

red maples
03-25-2010, 07:41 AM
So how's things going up north??? things are wrapping up soon if they haven't already thown in the towel especially in southern most states...lots of warm weather although nice but not for sap flow.

trying to get a sneak peak on what the market prices will be this year, as it usually comes down to you all.

ennismaple
03-25-2010, 12:09 PM
We just got a quote for bulk prices and they are down from last year - likely due in part to the strong Canadian Dollar. Parts of Ontario have had a disasterous year but parts of Eastern Ontario are doing OK. I haven't heard any reports from Quebec.

red maples
03-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I had a friend that went to quebec a few weeks ago for a snow mobile trip and they only stayed 2 days because of warm weather. don't know if that weather transfered into poor sap weather or not.

I think alot of guys here in south eastern NH are right around .25 GPT I think that would be a little less than a litter per tap. as long as they have vacuum. If you were on buckets or gravity very bad year I am right in the middle but was out of commision for 7 days total due to power outages and flooding!!

I never thought to consider the value of the canadian dollar for prices. they low here too but I have heard it was because they are expecting a good year out of canada!! and they will drop even more.

slw105
03-29-2010, 11:52 AM
I make syrup for my family and friends and only have 26 taps. I am in Cantley Quebec whitch is just across the river from Ottawa. It has been a funny year, no real big runs but in spurts. I had only two days of 20 with gallons of sap. The rest were around 10-15 gallons with yesterday at only 3. So I believe I'm done. I have made 21 litres (5.5 gallons) of syrup. 1.25 gallons of extra light, the rest light to medium. :)

My neighbours are having simular results. The operations north of us are still producing syrup. Our trees haven't budded yet but with the low sap rums and time between runs I think I'm done.

Hope that helps

Stephen

ennismaple
03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
I heard today that parts of Quebec have had a bumper year. I guess the crappy weather we've had meant they were getting the right conditions?

802maple
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I know we here at our elevation usually are very near the Quebec season and if anything is going on like it is here tonight they will be making some syrup tonight and tomorrow. My neighbor was at an average season this morning and the sap is running as hard as it has this year and it seemed to be picking up at dark.

slw105
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Well I thought I was done but yesterday and today the sap has been flowing. 15 gallons yesterday and 20 gallons of sap today. So tonight I am boiling.
It's 9 pm and the sap is still running. It looks like I will be boiling tomorrow too. My final count should end up at a litre of syrup per tap. So a good year.
Sorry guys in the south.

Stephen