PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Niter?

Squaredeal
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Anyone else getting a crazy amount of niter. Since the rains started our syrup seems to be about 1/2 white sand niter. I can only filter about 10-12 gallons with my 7" press before I have to change filters. The syrup looks quite milky when I draw off, but looks and tastes awesome after filtering.
I hope this is a phase, it is quite a PIA to change filters 3-4 times in a day.

VTFarmer
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Yes, we are heavy on niter this year as well. Our spare pan sprung a leak too so we're running on one:mad: We added an extra cup of diatomite (5 cups total on a 10" press) to our press and it seemed to help some. We get between 60 and 75 gallons through it before we have to change it out. On a "normal niter" year we'll get at least 90 through it before it even starts to slow down.

wdchuck
03-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Same here- We switch sides every day and the stuff just explodes off the pan when we fire up. Then we use the skimmer to scoop it all out a couple times a day. The press was doing about 35 gallons before needing to be broken down, now its 20 gallons.

maplecrest
03-25-2010, 05:54 AM
washing flue pan every day, sand so heavy. but able to get 80 gallons thru press between break downs. not so lucky if flue does not get cleaned

Squaredeal
03-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Glad to hear I'm not alone. I'm only having niter in the front, front pan (cross flow pans) so I'm able to swap that one out every day. Gotta find a market for the niter if this keeps up.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-25-2010, 07:59 AM
I had really heavy niter for the first 2 weeks. Now I am getting almost none. Early on, I was getting 75 gallons through my 7" press, now down to about 40. Not complaining 1 bit. I remember all to well the days of trying to get this stuff through a cone before the next batch came off!!!!

Squaredeal
03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Yes man, I'd rather have syrup w/ niter than no syrup and no niter.