PDA

View Full Version : Spout Size, Bucket

adk1
03-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Will be doing the majoirty with buckets, waht does everyone think the spout size should be..I am purchasing everything from scratch as I dont have anything yet. Will be going around 50 taps.

Also, does anyone make a hooked 5/16" spout? I ahve only used hooked 7/16" spouts, how are the hookless ones?

Buckets? I see Leader makes a plastic bucket and I like that idea, but am goign with the galvanized spouts. Anyone try these plastic buckets?

gomish
03-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Will be doing the majoirty with buckets, waht does everyone think the spout size should be..I am purchasing everything from scratch as I dont have anything yet. Will be going around 50 taps.

Buckets? I see Leader makes a plastic bucket and I like that idea, but am goign with the galvanized spouts. Anyone try these plastic buckets?

I have used 7/16 and 5/16 spout, I like the smaller one, less damage tree. But, I found out that the bit you use to drill is important. I just used one of my steel bits with a brace, I had a lot of trouble getting the tap holes "out of round" due to the difficulty getting the bit to cut and clean out the shavings , thus the spouts didn't seal good (leaking) and a couple fell out with a heavy bucket (3gal). Next year I am getting the special tapping bit, I think.

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Adk1 A few suggestions for ya. I have a mix of 7/16 and 5/16 I believe you get a little better yeild out of the 7/16 but the 5/16 is easier on the tree. Since you live not so far from me I also would suggest that you plan on more taps that 50 especially if you are getting into that 2x4. Runs have been on the not so good side. I will give you an example. 3 years ago I had out 200 taps, 2 years ago 400 taps, this year 800 taps. Guess what I have not made anymore syrup than I did 3 years ago. Im putting half on vac for 2011. NOw as far as buckets save yourself some coin, alot of coin and get ahold of used aluminum buckets. Bascoms has them for 3.50 a pop. I love my aluminum buckets. No rust easy to clean and light. Now if you go the aluminum route get them first before you buy the taps. The holes for hanging them can come in many shapes and sizes. The ones I have do not fit on the soule hooked spouts or the hookless spouts. The have to have the wire hook like on the 7/16 rolled taps. So buy buckets first, then fit the tap to them.

adk1
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Ok, I have jsut always worried about used equipment but Icould probably find some and look them over real well first.

I am still undecided on the evap size or even what I plan on doing altogether. I dont plan on making money on the venture, its more for the family experience and doing it myslef. If I can make 5 gallons of syrup a year I will be happy. Hence still considering the 1/2 pint..

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Well you say that now. We all said that once lol. Look at it this way. Whatever you buy as long as you take care of it you will get a decent buck back on the evaporator and can always go bigger when the need calls. There is a big difference between a flat pan setup and a flue pan. If you are looking for just 5 gallons then the halfpint might fit the bill.

johnallin
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
For starting out - or graduating from a steam pan - the 1/2pint is hard to beat. It's an affordable unit, from my experience will hold its value, and will sell in a flash should you decide to "move up". It's also a well made little evaporator with a solid reputation behind it. If you look around this site my guess is that 5-10% if us have had one.

We made over 6 gallons last year with just 35 taps and the boils were fun. We could boil just about every night with as little as 15 gallons, you won't be able to do that with a bigger arch and will end up saving sap and risking it going bad.

This year with the new 2X6 and no sap to speak of from 100+ taps, the boils are too short and too far between.

My vote is 1/2 Pint.

Ausable
03-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Also, does anyone make a hooked 5/16" spout? I ahve only used hooked 7/16" spouts, how are the hookless ones?

Howdy - Well ----- I tap 55 trees and I think I'm the only guy that ever made maple syrup that used coffee cans - for pails - on the trees - or - that will admit to it LOL. Must be a BIG - NO NO - in the Maple Syrup Makers Book of Rules. The reason I use them is - they are cheap. I punch a hole near the top open edge so it can hang on the hook. Then make two slits in the plastic cover about two inches apart and about 1/3 of the way in. When putting the lid on the can - center the lid slits over the hole in the can. Hang the can on the spile hook and lift the two inch plastic lid tab over the tap or spile (I use the 7/16 metal spile with hooks) It will keep the rain and snow out of the can. When You gather sap - you can hold the gathering pail in one hand and lift the coffee can off the hook - dump and replace it with the other. Which I find easier and faster then the old maple syrup pails which also are expensive. Naturally there is a downside - coffee cans are smaller and have to be dumped more often when the run is on and the other is - the Non-Belivers wonder why that Idiot has coffee cans hanging from his trees. Main thing is - have fun - and make maple syrup - no matter what you catch your sap in -- Mike

KenWP
03-24-2010, 05:50 AM
I have a beer can on one tree. It's easy to give directions in the woods then. Just tell she who wants to be obeyed that it's near the beer can tree. I would use more if I could fine them.

Ausable
03-25-2010, 06:03 AM
I have a beer can on one tree. It's easy to give directions in the woods then. Just tell she who wants to be obeyed that it's near the beer can tree. I would use more if I could fine them.

Good Idea --- I bet if I would use beer cans instead of coffee cans - I would have all kinds of pals helping me empty them and we wouldn't even concern ourselves about sap..............ah! -- maybe next year.... Mike

TF Maple
03-25-2010, 08:51 AM
I used stainless 7/16 spouts last year with milk jugs. The downside was having to empty them everyday and there was a big run last year where they were running over 3 times in one day.
I increased 100 taps this year and wanted to keep the cost down so I got the 5/16 clear spouts for $0.25 each instead of $3 for larger stainless spouts. Then 500 feet of 5/16 tubing for $45 and plastic food grade 4 gallon pails from local bakeries for $1 each. Leave the pails on the ground with 3 feet of tubing running into them. Spouts don't pull out.
Advantages besides low cost is the pails don't run over in one day and you could collect every other day if you want.

Ausable
03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I used stainless 7/16 spouts last year with milk jugs. The downside was having to empty them everyday and there was a big run last year where they were running over 3 times in one day.
I increased 100 taps this year and wanted to keep the cost down so I got the 5/16 clear spouts for $0.25 each instead of $3 for larger stainless spouts. Then 500 feet of 5/16 tubing for $45 and plastic food grade 4 gallon pails from local bakeries for $1 each. Leave the pails on the ground with 3 feet of tubing running into them. Spouts don't pull out.
Advantages besides low cost is the pails don't run over in one day and you could collect every other day if you want.

Hi TF - I've been reading some of the other threads on this very idea and I think I'll go that route in 2011. Some of the trees I have really put out the sap and it really makes me sick when the sap overflows and I loose it. Of course there are other trees where the coffee cans would still work. I really appreciate You filling me in on the costs - sounds like a good way for me to go. -- Mike