PDA

View Full Version : Wind direction

WI Sugarpop
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
I once heard a saying about sap flows best when wind is from the west and sap flow is least when wind is from the east. But I don't remember what it said about the north and south. Any ideas?

jtcinv
03-22-2010, 09:04 PM
When we were watching sap boil this past weekend, we determined that there were more variables than trees and it was impossible to set up a study to isolate any variables necessary to optimize sap flow.

I'm back to drilling into a Maple and hoping something drips from it, then boiling it. Not very scientific...

DanE.
03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
This is what an old timer told me 30 or so years ago:

Wind out of the North, the sap Cometh Forth
Wind out of the East, the sap runs the Least
Wind out of the South, there is a Drought
Wind out of the West, the sap runs the Best

Dane.

Haynes Forest Products
03-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Wind from the south There is a drouth, old way of say drought and it ends with TH

WI Sugarpop
03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks Dan E. from New York,
That's what it was. I better write it down so I don't forget it again. That's what happens when you are pushing 60!!!
Thanks again

TF Maple
03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
It still comes down to having the right temps to make the sap flow. If you have a wind from the North you would have colder temps. A wind from the west can be after a front went through and again the temps could be cooler in the spring. East wind would be when a front is coming through and it wouldn't necessarily be cold and the south wind is warm so that is bad for the sap flow. So in general the rhyme would be true.