PDA

View Full Version : Season is over in Poestenkill

jcutts
03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Will be pulling 65 taps this week and calling an end to a poor season. Looking forward to next year already. Had a great time with my son and grandsons.

Greg Morin
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Were still holding out for 1 last run this week? we hope no buds in the sugars yet. but the silvers do.

Lyle
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I'll be pulling mine this week as well. The last run i collected was getting pretty cloudy and very low sugar. Time to get back to the other chores that have taken a back seat. The silver lining to this poor seasons cloud is I won't have to cut much sap wood for next year!

cropseyvillemark
03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Not yet. Better weather is coming, the buds are tight and the full moon is right behind it. I don't know if any of that means anything, but that is what the folks with a lot more experience than I have are saying. I am running out of time, but still have wood to burn, so we'll clean up,regroup and push on.

super sappy
03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Dont cost a nickel to leave those taps in . And after this year a frog run is better than no run at all. Scrub those tanks and rinse those buckets...clean up the empties before visitors come ..... Fear No Sap ...... super sappy

super sappy
03-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Boiled today for 8 hours . Sap has a slightly clowdy color at 2% and even though it was buddy with a slight tootsie roll flavor ,it still graded at dark A. All I can say is what a F*&*ed up season .-Super sappy

cropseyvillemark
03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm throwing in the towel. I still have 300 gal of sap, but it's low sugar and a little smelly. I think at this point the firewood is worth more than the syrup I would make.

super sappy
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
Mark : I have heard alot of local complaints / Reports of low sugar for this season from guys just north of me in the Argyle -Salem area My sugar content stayed high all year and we finished with buddy sap still at 2%. I am wondering if these low counts are a direct effect from the Dec 2008 ice storm ?My trees really rebounded last year with alot of new crown and trunk growth but I had planned on a reduced sugar content season and got just the opposite... What were your sugar #s?-super sappy

cropseyvillemark
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
I was steady at 2 to 2.2 all season. just the last run got weak. We,re usually around 2.5. Last year it never got over 2.