PDA

View Full Version : New single swing -out door evaporator

saphead
03-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I went to a couple sugarhouses in Vt. today and saw a new Leader 5x14 w/a single door that had pivoting hinges that swung the door off to the side.What a piece of junk! Looks like some kid made it in metal shop class!Everything leaked and the adjustments to tighten things up were very crude.When the door is closed it mates up to an air duct on the bottom right with a gasket for a seal. I asked the owner why they went to this style and he was told because the 2 door style was warping and burning out. I know of someone w/ the 2 door style and he had problems because he was never told to keep the wood 6" back from the door! He fixed things up and put in cast air nozzles...no problems.This new style has air holes only in the door,not impressed. Me thinks Leader better send someone to boiler design 101!Over fire and under fire forced air has to be done right,the manufactures over the border seem to have it dialed in. I don't like to rag on an in country product but I wouldn't have let this out of my factory! ok I'm done venting.

saphead
03-19-2005, 04:05 PM
oops wrong catagory!

brookledge
03-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm curious as to what size the evaporators were? I purchased an air tight arch from Leader 3 years ago it is 3 feet wide and it has a single door. The door is insulated and is by far better than my old arch that had two doors. it is great, no ash pit no ashes to shovel or clean out. Maybe they have changed something since then.
Keith

saphead
03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Keith it was a 5x14. I'm sure your rig is the style that has the hinge on one side of the door and the semi-truck trailer box closures on the other,nice set-up.Picture this if I can describe it properly,on this new style when it's unlatched(rinky tink latches)the door comes back towards you and pivots off to the side remaining parallel with the front of the arch.It doesn't swing like a door.The rest of the arch,except for the front, is the same as a regular air tight arch.