PDA

View Full Version : Pan Siphon question

Peepers
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
If anyone uses or has built a pan-to-pan siphon how big of bowls do you put at each end and how big of a tube have you run from one pan to another?

I know a plumber that has some 3" copper scraps and I was thinking of making a siphon for my kitchen sink pans. I was thinking of reducing the 3" to 2 or 1 for the siphon tube. I suppose either would work but the smaller fittings would be cheaper.

any thoughts, suggestions or pictures would be helpful.
thanks!

3rdgen.maple
03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Peepers do a search I have posted a few times on how to make them. Too tired to do it again.

Peepers
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
I didn't find any pics but I can get the idea from posts. It sounds like 1" pipe is prescribed with 2" cups at the bottom. I am picturing a 2" to 1" reducer that goes into a couple of 1" 90's or some kind of bend to go from pan to pan. Seems my season is pretty much done here so I'll have to poke around some plumbing supply houses and talk to my plumber friend. Eliminating the pan-to-pan scooping next year would be nice!

3rdgen.maple
03-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes peepers just picture it looking like an upside down U. When you make them just have the 1 inch pipe off the bottom of the cup a little. Solder the pipe to one sid of the cup preferably so the cup sticks out towards the center of the pan and not to the inside of the upside down U. I had good luck with them in the past. Some others have not. I just think the key is the larger cup on the bottom to help keep as much boil/airbubbles entering the siphon. Keep an eye on them till just in case they loose suction.