PDA

View Full Version : Questions with first boil...

Scott O
03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Hello:

I have a new homebuilt arch similar to plans by Davy Jones. The pan is 2x4 sitting on the arch that is 5'6" long overall. The firebox is 24" in width by 20" deep. I have two questions:

1) I do not seem to get a good boil on the back 1/3 of the pan. The stack is 6" diameter and only 6' high. Would a taller stack help draw the 'heat' toward the back?
2) The pan I have has dividers that are only tacked a few spots along the 4' length. A preheater pan drips into the back corner of one of the channels. The drawoff is on the opposite side and corner of the pan. Will seepage of sap under the dividers not allow a good sugar gradient?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Scott

johnallin
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Scott,
Although I've not seeg your set up a few things come to mind. Sounds like you have about 1½' of arch behind your pan: pan 2 x 4, fire box 20 x 24, arch 2 x 5½'. You may be losing a lot of heat if the arch is too open back there.

If you have much more that a few inches in open height back there under the pan, try closing it up a bit to slow the gasses down to make better contact with the pan. Just stacking a few fire brick to make a wall can be a huge help.
You may be suprised at how much difference that can make, but will probably have to experiment a few times to get it right.

If you're getting a good burn on your wood and a rapid boil in the front of the pan I think your stack height is not the problem. On the other hand; if your fire is starving for air and not burning completely you may in fact just need more draft - taller stack -to move everything along. Hang on though, you're bound to get lots of good replies and info here and good Luck with the rest of your season.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Rule of thumb is 2' of stack for every 1' of arch. Play with it a little and add a 2 or 3 feet section of stack and go from there. 2' might help, or 3' to 5' might be perfect. Good thing, 6" is dirt cheap.