PDA

View Full Version : sugar hill jugs when bottling

maple sapper
03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Does anybody lay their bottles on their side to insure some heat on the caps so they make a seal. Or, does it happen with out laying sideways while cooling? I had three caps let go due to the heat the other day so want to leave them upright to prevent that mess again.

7810hunting
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
I've been using sugar hill jugs for years. I dont lay them on their sides. I never had a bad seal yet.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
I always invert mine upside down for about 30 seconds and been doing this for 15 years and don't recall one failing other then sometimes the pints like to leak a little so I know I need to reseal the lid or use another lid. Sugarhill quarts are great, but their pints have been a problem for the last 15 years. Something in the molding for pints and I wish they would fix it, other than that, I have never had a problem with them.

danno
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I use Sugarhill quarts, halfs and gallons. Always lay them on their side for an hour and have never seen one let go. Probably get one bad seal (leak) from every 100.

maple flats
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I used to get several leakers with Bacon jugs until I stopped filling then to the tip top. I now stop 1/4" down with the jug resting on the shelf. I turn the caps on tight and lay on the side for 5-30 minutes. I no longer get leaks. I complained about leakers and was told i was over filling and pressure inside as I laid them on their side was causing the leaks. I did check filling to the 1/4" down at 185 and then measured the volume when cold. They were still very slightley over 32 oz volume. I don't ever recall a cap coming off if that is what you are asking.

Russell Lampron
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Sugarhill jugs are more prone to leakage than the new Bacon jugs. I used to have the occasional leaker when I used Sugarhill and have had no problems when using the Bacon jugs. I always lay them on the side then stand them up after I fill the next one.

unclebuck
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I've used sugar hill jugs for 12 years used to lay them on their side but at a ct maple producers meeting a rep from spring hill was there the new caps do not require the jugs to be laid on their side but just turn them upside down for a couple of seconds to kill the bacteria have not had a problem

uncle buck

3rdgen.maple
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
I just tip them upside down for a few seconds and seems to work. The only thing I notice about using plastic wether it be Bacon or sugarhill is that you can overtighten the tops and cause distortion and get a bad seal. If you sit the jug on the counter and look at one you overtighten you can see the cap is wavy on the top. I am careful about how tight I get them now.

hard maple
03-21-2010, 09:03 PM
never had a leaker since I stopped using the sugarhill jugs.

Farmboy
03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
I lay the sugarhill bottles on there side I haven't had a cap fail yet and they all sealed.

mapleack
03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I use sugarhill jugs, have for over 20 years, bottle between 185 and 195 deg, NEVER lay them on their side, and couldn't tell you the last time anyone came back with a bad jug.

PerryW
03-22-2010, 06:09 AM
You need to get the hot syrup to the cap to kill and mold spores with 180 deg+ syrup and make the seal work..

I have used both Bacon & Sugarhill and I can't remember the last time I had a leaker. I tip them all upside down and set them on their caps except the gallon size which I lay on the sides.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-22-2010, 08:19 PM
With the sugarhill jugs, I turn them upside down about 30 seconds and before turning them upside down, I just snug the lid on. After turning them back over, I tighten the lid another click or two to securely seal them and it seams to work really good.

ahowes
03-06-2012, 08:24 AM
First year using Sugar Hill jugs. How do I tell if a seal is bad?

maplwrks
03-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Sugarhill changed the plastic compound in their caps this year. They are a lot harder plastic,(much like Bacon caps) you should see the leaking problems go away. Most of the time it was caused by overtightening.

Asthepotthickens
03-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Dumb question maybe from a newby. We always use mason jars. We boil some water and put them in a pot upside down like canning jam then we pour the hot syrup into the jars and wait for them to seal.
With plastic bottles do you simply pour the syrup in at 180 to 190 and that is it. The syrup will not go bad if not refrigerated?

happy thoughts
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
With plastic bottles do you simply pour the syrup in at 180 to 190 and that is it. The syrup will not go bad if not refrigerated?

As long as it's at the property density the syrup will not go bad and doesn't need refrigeration until after opening. This is why producers take such pains with brix readings as the standards are set for optimal safety and keeping.

The syrup needs to be above 180F when poured into the jugs for a good seal and good sterilization. Below that and you risk spoilage. Glass generally needs to be warm when filled so the temp doesn't go below 180 before capping. Cold glass can cool the syrup below safe packing temperatures. You could end up with a bad seal and/or mold growth. Cooling from the container is not so much of a problem in plastic.

Asthepotthickens
03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Thank YOU very well explained

ahowes
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Is it obvious when you don't get a seal? I know how to check mason jars, but not the proper way to check plastic jugs with clicking lids. Thanks.

Turtlecreek
09-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Is it obvious when you don't get a seal? I know how to check mason jars, but not the proper way to check plastic jugs with clicking lids. Thanks.

It is very obvious if you turn them upside down, because they leak everywhere! I have had more trouble with sugar hill jugs than I have had with other manufacturers. The only reason I stay with them is because the assocation gets better pricing and passes it along to us. I just buy extra caps when I buy the bottles.

t

Mark
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I went to the Sugarhill jugs with the induction bonded seals. I filled one up with water so I would not risk having syrup all over. I bonded the seal and then removed the cap leaving only the inner seal and was able to lay it on the floor on it's side and stand on it without leaking. Oh, I should say my son stood on it and he is 140 pounds, I am a little more that that and did not try.

delivron
09-06-2012, 08:03 AM
See how a packer does it.
http://vimeo.com/47774829

If your browser doesn't display got to: http://vimeo.com/47774829