PDA

View Full Version : Questions on new Bigger Evap.

BHMC
03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
So I thinking the 2x4 Vermonter may go down the road for another rig. What are your thoughts on a larger rig. Is it a Ford Chevy thing ie: Leader vs D&G vs Lapierre...etc. I am thinking a 2x8 3x10. I could get up to maybe 800+ taps. I have seen the high tech wood arches, Leader Inferno - Lapierre Hurricane or D&G Airtight wood saver & Tornado...any thoughts on the whole idea. Also has anybody used the high tech wood arches from these three. I am thinking to go a little bigger than I may need for now....maybe RO in the future. Thanks

KenWP
03-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Get a Dodge and buy a Phaneuf.

steam maker
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
we bought a dallaire and love it its got an air tight front with air grates and a blower. not as high tech as the new arches but boy does she boggey:o

Russell Lampron
03-21-2010, 05:46 PM
As far as evaporator brands the CDL Dallaire is a nice rig. The other brands are nice too and it might be best to buy what your local dealer sells.

If you are planning to buy an RO in the future go smaller on the evaporator size and save some coin. With proper RO usage and concentrating to higher levels you can get some amazing amounts of syrup out of a 2x6. My father was amazed the other night when he watched my son in law and I draw off 11 gallons in 1.75 hours the other night. He had a 4x12 when I was a kid and never drew off that much syrup in that short of a time span with it. Then I showed him my wood pile. I had made about 100 gallons of syrup at that point in the season and still had 1.25 cords of the 2.25 cords that I had put in left.

maple flats
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I agree, if you do the math, a 2x6 is good and a 3x8 can do an impressive amout when you use an RO. Infact that is my plan. I have a 3x8 and just want to fully utilize it. I can boil at 70-75 gph on 2% sap which means I can draw1.6+ gal/hr. When I get an RO it means at 10% concentration I will draw about 8.5 gal/hr. That sounds like what I veiw as the biggest I want to get. That will process the sap from about 3000+ taps. That sounds huge at this point to me.

Russell Lampron
03-21-2010, 06:14 PM
My set up runs the smoothest when I can have 1000 gallons of sap or more to process. I sweeten that up to 16% or so and then can boil for about 3 hours and have a constant draw off for awhile without running out of sap. When I first got my 2x6 and until recently when I changed the membrane in my RO 1000 gallons would scare me. Now I hope for it. Just going to have to add more taps next year. I have about 700 now, 600 plus on vacuum and have many nights when I only boil for 2 hours or less. It's alot of fun!

Woodland Acres
03-22-2010, 05:20 AM
This year i Purchased the 3x10 Intens-o-Fire from CDL. What a hard boiling rig. Average rate is about 140 gallons an hour.The thing I liked was the package price compared to Leader. No hidden costs, only thing missing on delivery was the thermometer. They came back after it was all bricked and walked you thru the process of running it. This was late at night and left after several hours of boiling ,just to make sure that you felt comfortable running it. Amazing to watch it boil and to see no smoke coming out the stack.

michiganfarmer
03-22-2010, 07:57 AM
This year i Purchased the 3x10 Intens-o-Fire from CDL. What a hard boiling rig. Average rate is about 140 gallons an hour.The thing I liked was the package price compared to Leader. No hidden costs, only thing missing on delivery was the thermometer. They came back after it was all bricked and walked you thru the process of running it. This was late at night and left after several hours of boiling ,just to make sure that you felt comfortable running it. Amazing to watch it boil and to see no smoke coming out the stack.

did you buy it new? Can I ask what it cost?

michiganfarmer
03-22-2010, 08:01 AM
My set up runs the smoothest when I can have 1000 gallons of sap or more to process. I sweeten that up to 16% or so and then can boil for about 3 hours and have a constant draw off for awhile without running out of sap. When I first got my 2x6 and until recently when I changed the membrane in my RO 1000 gallons would scare me. Now I hope for it. Just going to have to add more taps next year. I have about 700 now, 600 plus on vacuum and have many nights when I only boil for 2 hours or less. It's alot of fun!

Have you tested your permeate for sugar? Is any sugar getting through the membrane? I havent bouhgt an RO yet, but I am considering it, and am curious about sugar loss, pressures, and recirulating. If you could take a few minutes and call me Id greatly appreciate it. I own a sharpening business you can call me here during the day. 231-941-8003.

Russell Lampron
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Michigan Farmer,

I test my permeate on a regular basis and no sugar loss. The trick is to keep the concentrate flow high and the pressure low. I'll give you a call when I get a few minutes.