PDA

View Full Version : small clouds suspended in clear syrup /niter??

VA maple guy
03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Has anyone ever seen this? Small clouds suspended in clear syrup.
I bottled about two gallons of syrup 2 weeks ago in 25 oz bottles ,about a week later these small clouds formed. If you shake them they disappear,but reappear a few days later. My bottling temp was a little high about 195 /200
Is this niter or maby somthing else.
Gerry

gmcooper
03-19-2005, 09:15 PM
I have had that happen before. Not totaly sure what it was from, but it was before we had a filter press. Watch for sediment in the bottom if they set still for long periods. The cloudy stuff we had was barely visable unless you were looking for it or once you knew it was there. Doesn't take much to disperse it. Might be from reheating or something got thru the filter.
mark

brookledge
03-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Gerry,
What type of filter are you using? Sounds like you have a little bit of nitre or solids getting through your filter. If you are using cone filter do not agitate it while it is working if you scrape it with a spoon it will likely let some solids through. Also when washing the filters do not wring them out. This will tear the fibers and make weak spots in them. You can hold up to a light or put a light in side it and look for thin spots that might be letting solids through. Once this happens you nead to replace it. The best thing for washing is to just squeeze them or put in a washer spin cycle. I have seen sugarhouses that use the wooden rollers off an antique washer to get the water out of there filters. Your temp is ok unless you are reheating the syrup after filtering it
Keith

VA maple guy
03-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Hay guys, thanks for the response. I'm using synthetic cone filters and prefilters. I may have been a little rough with them when I wash them. I'm going to check them with a light. I am reheating the syrup to arround 200 after filtering. I'll lower the temp a bit and see if that helps, but I'm going to half to wait until next year,down here in VA my season is already over. :(
Gerry

VA maple guy
03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Hay Keith,I think you may have found my problem. I checked my filter with a light and could see a pin hole size spots or two of light shining through. I'll be buying new filters for next year.
Thanks again! Gerry

brookledge
03-24-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm glad that you found the problem or atleast it looks that way. I remember buying my first cone filter and single cone filter tank From Linwood Leisure in Ashfield (inductee in the maple syrup hall of fame) and having him say what ever you do don't wring it out or you will tear the fibers. That was about 30 years ago.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Keith,

Nice website. I enjoyed looking around there yesterday. You really have a nice setup and an awesome evaporator. Keep up the great work as you really know what you are doing! :D

brookledge
03-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Brandon,
Thanks, you should pat yourself on the back too. You have made alot of big improvements that have improved your efficiency. I must say when I bought the revolution style pans I didn't know how I'd like them and now I'm very happy I did.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Keith,

Thanks for the complements and it is amazing how many things you can do to an evaporator to kick up the gph tremendously. :D