PDA

View Full Version : One More Good Run Coming in Western NY

concord maple
03-21-2010, 08:08 AM
All you guys in western NY what are your thoughts on whether we are done or not? I see the temps. for the end of this coming week are in the mid 20's with highs in mid 40s and partly sunny. Are our trees to far along from the two weeks of 60s?

wnybassman
03-21-2010, 08:18 AM
The long range forecast has been a tease for the last 2 weeks. They keep putting nice colds nights in there, but by the time we get there, they are another few days out just out of reach.

Hard to say. I pulled the plug this past week. I still left buckets on my two biggest trees in case there is a good run and I can fire up the turkey fryer. Also I wanted to leave those out for my own observation on what could happen after a long dry spell. If it starts flowing good at the end of the month, maybe the next time this happens I'll leave all my taps out longer.

I think we briefly kissed the 32 degree mark last night.

backyardsugarer
03-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Soft maples have buds here. That means the sugar maples are not far behind. I did not pull the taps yet but I doubt we will get much more good sap.

Chris

wnybassman
03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Over the last few days out of those two trees I left taps in, I got 5 gallons to boil down today on the stove, and produced a little over a half of a pint of the nastiest crap I have ever made. Those taps will get pulled tomorrow. I hope I can get the smell out of my nose somehow. Yuck!

latewood
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I am going out on a maple limb here and will say that there will be some good runs in the near future. Granted it will not be fancy syrup,but I would hang in there because ol' mother nature is full of surprises. Anyone around here hearing any spring peeper frogs singing yet? That is usually my cue to quit trying for table grade.

barkeatr
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
IM boiing off 50 gallons of sap i gathered today...its not cloudy but some of my old trees put out some yellow stuff. it could be a bit of rainwater running down the drop line to the covered pail and yellowing the water. it doesnt smell bad while boiling.

I think there is one more run in our cold upstate NY bush. kind of a bad year with my new 2x6 waterloo lapierre..such is farming