PDA

View Full Version : First Syrup!!

eschoon
03-20-2010, 08:27 PM
We made our first batch of syrup today! Been "lurking" here for about 3 weeks & reading everything on the Homemade forum, all 30+ pages. Built a block arch as many of you did to start. We had about 20 gallons of sap & thought it would make a nice first batch to try out. Went great had it boiled down in about 4 hours & finished in the kitchen. We got 3 qts + 1 cup from 20 gallons of sap! I haven't figured out the % yet, but should be pretty good, especially for the weather we have had around here lately. Already planning an arch for next year, so may be checking later on with some questions. Thanks for everyone's help through this great forum!
We already enjoyed a full pint!
For safety the pics with the kids were "staged"

tjintheshop
03-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Good job. Fun isnt it?

Maplebrook
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Yep...He's hooked!

Didn't anyone warn these good folks?

Congratulations on that first batch. As I finished another 2 1/2 gallons of syrup tonight I thought back to my very first batch 10 years ago - a whole Miracle Whip jar full!

Maplesedge
03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Nice! What a cool thing to do with kids. Nothing like making your own syrup. Bon appetit!

Peepers
03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
congrats! The kids are bundled up pretty good so you guys must be up north. Been almost short sleeve weather down here south of the twin cities.

eschoon
03-22-2010, 08:10 AM
The wind was pretty raw that day. We are about an hour SE of Fargo/Moorhead, just a couple miles from Maplewood State Park.

LawnMowerMan
03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Ya know that looks almost EXACTLY like what we came up with this year for an evaporator after we figured out the turkey fryers would take too long and cost WAY too much. Looks good!

Heres the one we built half way through the season. Looks familiar eh?;)

Haynes Forest Products
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Why not fill the blocks with sand to keep the heat in. Sand wont hurt the syrup it will filter out:o

eschoon
03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I had the joints filled with sand, but didn't have any more or I would have done that

Thanks