PDA

View Full Version : New York Maple weekend

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Who all is having their sugar house open? What kind of results are you getting? We had about 25 to 30 visitors today. Some nice people but sales were very disappointing. Guess we will see what tomorrow and next weekend bring but things will have to improve quite a bit if I am going to participate again.

bigtreemaple
03-20-2010, 06:51 PM
We have done maple weekend each year for many years, it has been less successful each year for the last 2 or 3. My experience has been that Sat of the first weekend is always best and this year it is was about as good as the rest of this maple year has been which is not good! I guess I am just disappointed all the way around.

backyardsugarer
03-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Traffic was down from my past too, but still a nice turnout. Sunday was slower than Saturday. Seems like people are spending less than in the past.

Chris

maple flats
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Last December I decided not to participate in Maple Weekend because I never have product for the Christmas season. Now I am glad I made that decision. I still had a few visitors and everyone who cam bought. This is even with my record high prices. I am getting $54 gal, $29 half, $16 qt and $9 pt for an example. Now body even hesitated or commented about the price. Now I wish I were having a good year production wise.
When I did do Maple Weekend I had a sugarhouse full (typically 15-20) and lines waiting to get in.

sapman
03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Dave, I like your prices! I'm planning to raise mine, but don't have the nerve to go that high. I'd love to, as I/we could all really use the extra, especially this year!

Tim

Fred Henderson
03-22-2010, 06:16 AM
If I ever put my prices that high it would all still be sitting here next season. Not that Dave's prices are to high it has a lot to do the geography location you are in.

danno
03-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Tim -

My prices are similar to Dave's, a dollar or two less on the halves and gallons. Always had good drive-up business till this year. Things have really slowed down for sales. Unless you have a real strong customer base like Dave seems to have, be careful about bumping your prices.

3rdgen.maple
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
My prices are identical to Daves. Except I also do custom glass bottles. 12oz 10 bucks 8 oz is 8 bucks. These are what seem to be selling the best but the fisherman seem to love them. They have a salmon on them with the words Salmon River NY etched into them. Kinda wish I would of went higher on those in pricing. Nice thing is I can get the glass bottles for around 88 cents each. Plus my time for etching them. Will definetly plan for more of them next year. Only one person made a comment that they could get syrup cheaper from the omish. I told them to get it there then but go take a visit and see where they are boiling the stuff and you might change your mind.

DanE.
03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Hmm. I might have to rethink my price. I'm selling only 5 gallons this year to friends and co-worker 12 for qt and 8 for pts glass. The Pints have custom art work on them. I see on the local Craigs list someone is selling gallons for $34. It might be cheaper to buy his syrup and repackage it with my name..... yea, your right it would not be the same - no fun.

Dane.

maple flats
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM
For the most part your prices are lower because YOU fail to understand how supply and demand work. This is not meant to insult anyone, just state the facts. I have a degree in business management and I see if from many years of being both a manager for a med large retailer and from being in business for myself for 30 years after that. To get your prices closer to where they should be you must take it in steps, a huge climb all at once will scare business away. If you make a quality product it will sell.
As a point of interest, one of my customers was telling me yesterday that they live the other side of another producer but do not like their syrup as well. They drive past them, drive another 15 miles and buy from me. (I have had the other producers syrup and it is top notch, in fact the only 2 times in the past that I have bought bulk to fill orders I have bought from them) The other producer is getting $15/qt this year and I get $16. They drive an extra 30 miles to buy mine.
I have had other similar comments too. If you think you should be getting more you MUST raise your prices. This is the highest I have ever been and sales have not faultered any. I went from $48/gal to $54/gal in one year and all other prices followed suit. That $6 jump/gal is my biggest ever. Occasionally I have had a customer ask the price and leave but very rarely. And a few of them later returned and bought. I do not feel I am gouging anyone, I think the price almost reflects the value. In this respect I intend to remain slightly under what I truly believe the value to be. My thinking is it should now be near $70/gal but I'll stay low.
Maple syrup is a luxury product and most will not be swayed by higher prices. The poor do not enjoy maple.

maple flats
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Look for even bulk prices to raise to record highs. 2 years ago bulk was at about $45/gal. If you think for a minute they were paying that and retailing it for $49 or less think again. This should be business. To most this is a hobby that almost pays for itself but that is hurting the ones who want to make a good part of their income from it.

sapman
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I had to make a big jump on my wholesale syrup several years ago when I realized the prices I had inherited with the account were WAY too low. Fortunately, the market bore it. Most of the market was an affluent area in Syracuse. I do think I'll need to raise the wholesale price again soon. It's comforting to see what other syrups on the shelf are selling for. It gives me room to go up. But at the same time, I don't think the other ones are selling nearly as much as me.

Tim