PDA

View Full Version : Could be worse

Kevin Rose
03-20-2010, 09:29 AM
It's been an unusual year of weather. Taps in early (Feb 20th). First boil on Feb 22nd. Continuous runs during the second week in March. Sugar content good. Last year's production (a good year) averaged 1.4 quarts of syrup per tap. So far this year the yield has been 1.25 quarts per tap. Don't know what next week will bring, but it sounds like things are better up here at 1500 feet than they are in the valleys or south in the flatlands.

Kevin Rose
03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Temperatures dropped back closer to seasonal today. Snow in the air. Sap began flowing again at a good clip. A bit of rain or snow in the near-term, but the mid to end of the coming week looks productive. If so, this year's crop will undoubtedly exceed 2009.

Kevin Rose
03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
The flow started up again today and by 3 pm had produced between 1 and 2 gallons per tap. Looks like things may shut down for a bit with Friday's cold weather, but the first part of the week looks good. The sap is still clear and all indications are pointing to a crop that exceeds last year's (well above average) yield. Could be worse.

vtsnowedin
03-25-2010, 07:31 PM
The same here on Chelsea west hill about a gallon per tap. First sap I've had in over a week on gravity health taps. Got the pans sweet again but not enough to draw off. I varies a lot but those with good vacuum systems seem to be having a very good year with one guy on the town line boiling for twenty two days straight and up over a half gallon per tap and still going.

Kevin Rose
03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
As of yesterday, my 2010 syrup production rose above last year's levels by about 3%.

vtsnowedin
03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
A bit of snow last night and rain today and I was busy elsewhere so of course it ran pretty good. I had half a tank when I got home so I fired up and made four gallons of B.