PDA

View Full Version : re tapping?

Dan W
03-19-2010, 08:07 PM
h
Here is my predicament. I have 160 buckets (200) for next year. I have all 7/16 taps and am looking to improve. If I had 5/16 tips and all worked well. I cauld re -ap with the 7/16 and be ahead of the game. What would you do? tap once or twice?

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 10:04 PM
I would not retap the same trees twice. Im not really sure exacally what that would accomplish for you either. If the taps have given up I think the season would be pretty much over. The extra sap you would get might not be worth the effort and it may be all buddy sap anyways. Or maybe I just misread your question. Did you mean something else?

KenWP
03-19-2010, 10:12 PM
He's talking about drilling 5/16 holes out to 7/16 holes. Just make the holes bigger.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Guess I need sleep. I will say this and I will get many afflicting post. I ream my taps with beneficial results. For example I was not getting any sap this past week. I went and reamed them out and went in another half inch. The taps that were not dripping at all woke up and dripped like crazy right in front of my eyes. If It was me I would not drill the 5/16 to 7/16. 2 reasons. 1 how will you drill the hole without making it out of round and get a good seal? 2. Why make a bigger hole and cause the tree to heal a larger diameter. I think if you tapped shorter initially and redrilled a little deeper later it would be better. But hey that is just me.