PDA

View Full Version : sap- water and sugar separation

Todd Miske
03-19-2010, 03:13 PM
This might sound stupid but, My father in law is convinced that the sugar and the water separate in our holding tanks, can anyone send me a link where i can get information to help him understand that it does not...Thanks Tonia Miske:rolleyes:

mike z
03-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeh, that's a weird one. I might be able to top it though - a friend suggested I place a hunk of quartz in the pan to help with the filtering, supposed to drop everything out of suspension, just like that. Maybe it would separate sugar too :) Wish I had some sap to try it out.

KenWP
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Now I have to find a food grade peice of quartz. Man you guys keep coming up with all this work for me.

driske
03-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Quartz? Hmmmm.
Sugar separation? Well, why does a full bag of sap have this nice golden color in the lower corners? Guess I'm with the father-in-law.

Haynes Forest Products
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Pure sugar is white. The piss is settling in the corners. Make the father inlaw prove his theory.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Okay so if this is the case I gotta ask. Does the sugar rise to the top or settle to the bottom. I want to know where to stick the siphon so I can just put the sugar in my pans. Man these guys who spent big bucks on RO's are gonna be mad you might not want to tell them.
I had a guy tell me once to stick a flat peice of copper in the bottom of my pans and the niter would cling to that instead of the stainless steel. Never tried it but maybe Ken will give it a shot and report back the results.

Haynes Forest Products
03-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Only if the wife will let him:(

driske
03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, Dr. Tim is out of town for a bit yet. Guess we'll have to conduct our own science.
In the meantime, I vote with the legions of squirrels that attack the corners of my bags. And boil the piss out of what's left.

KenWP
03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Okay so if this is the case I gotta ask. Does the sugar rise to the top or settle to the bottom. I want to know where to stick the siphon so I can just put the sugar in my pans. Man these guys who spent big bucks on RO's are gonna be mad you might not want to tell them.
I had a guy tell me once to stick a flat peice of copper in the bottom of my pans and the niter would cling to that instead of the stainless steel. Never tried it but maybe Ken will give it a shot and report back the results.

What am I the class guinea pig. Okay I have the copper will try and boil it see what happens. I have to find some quartz also. What else do I have to boil gold,silver,zinc,titaniuim. Keep them coming.

KenWP
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Only if the wife will let him:(

She who has to be obeyed lets me do almost anything. Whats that dear. Oh have to go time for bed.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Ken I would do it but no sap in the tanks. Thanks. Could you also try cleaning your pans with the toilet brush Haynes uses and let us know if there is any off flavors in the syrup.

TF Maple
03-20-2010, 09:03 AM
I would have to guess nitre isn't going to cling to a piece of copper. If it does, you sure would not want to cook in a copper kettle or with copper drop tubes.
As far as quartz, many people think gems and special rocks have some kind of power to make various changes. The science of that seems sketchy so I don't think it will really change anything that you will be able to see, at least not without real good analyzing instruments.

Haynes Forest Products
03-20-2010, 09:24 AM
I know that when I gave the 3rd one a gem stone there was a change...........just didnt last that long:lol: Next we will be boiling under a pyramid. Now could the crystal shape confuse the sugar crystals into forming early?......OH KenW bust out the tin foil hat and get to work I want the report on my desk by Monday

Westphalia
03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
from dictionary.com:

so·lu·tion
   /səˈluʃən/ Show Spelled[suh-loo-shuhn]

Chemistry.
a.
the process by which a gas, liquid, or solid is dispersed homogeneously in a gas, liquid, or solid without chemical change.
b.
such a substance, as dissolved sugar or salt in solution.
c.
a homogeneous, molecular mixture of two or more substances.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Once the sugar is in the solution no amount of wishful thinking will separate it without the expenditure of energy, such as heat to evaporate the water.

Enroll the father in law in the basic physics class at your local high school.

erhino10
04-04-2010, 08:56 AM
driske.....the corners of your bags are getting chewed up by squirrels because thats where you are grabbing them when you dump them they are after the salt left by sweaty bare hands wear dry gloves and that problem will magically dissapear

KenWP
04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I know that when I gave the 3rd one a gem stone there was a change...........just didnt last that long:lol: Next we will be boiling under a pyramid. Now could the crystal shape confuse the sugar crystals into forming early?......OH KenW bust out the tin foil hat and get to work I want the report on my desk by Monday

I don't wear tin foil hats even if it aides science.