PDA

View Full Version : releaser question

mntapper
03-19-2010, 08:08 AM
what size or type of releaser should i use with a sp11 vac pump for 150 taps or could i possibly build one?

Haynes Forest Products
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Plan on growing. You can get away with a smaller releaser it will just cycle faster. Depending on how you make yours if it doesnt maintain vacuum during the dump cycle and its a small unit your sap will be surging back and forth alot and thats not good.

Brent
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I think the small Bernard is recommended for up to 800 taps. There is a hobby releaser mention in several threads here. Try a search on 'hobby releaser'

Russell Lampron
03-20-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm not sure if Lapierre has gotten the problems with the Hobby Releaser fixed yet. It seems that the new version has the same problem that the old one did. A Bernard single is good for 500 taps at 18" and is close to $1000 new.

If you have electricity where your releaser is going to be you can buy an electric releaser for less money but you have to buy a pump too.

maple sapper
03-21-2010, 11:10 AM
I built a releaser out of pvc last weekend. unfortunately, the weather has been not ideal for sap collection. I ran it day and night one day to see if anything would happen with no cold nights and managed to get 50 gals of sap with no to little sap flow. So I know the rig works. Of course i tested it at home with water first. I will post some pics later in the next few days. Its made up of a level sensor valve, delayed time relay and a solenoid valve. It runs on a deep cycle battery with a solar panel attatched to it to maintain charge. Problem is, I think im a few french fries short of a happy meal with this warm trend. Totally mad. Is it worth it to try and run it perhaps one more day if things cool at night a bit? I realize we dont have any freezing nights in the forcast but wasnt sure if a marginal cold night may inspire enough for vac to be effective. Thanks.

Dennis H.
03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Maple sapper, good to hear that you got something worked out for this year.

Keep looking for a Bender though, grab it if you can find one. You never know when you might use one.

I excited to see the setup that you made. When it comes to releaser I think electric is the way to go if you have power. A lot less moving parts.

mrb215
03-23-2010, 06:15 AM
with an electric releaser do you need to have a pump or can you just let it dump into the tank??

maplwrks
03-23-2010, 06:16 AM
It needs an electric pump.

maple sapper
03-23-2010, 07:09 AM
The pictures of my homemade releaser are posted under the "home made releaser input wanted" title. There is no pump. It works with two check valves and releaser in the middle.