PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

3rdgen.maple
03-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Okay need some opinions on this one. You know how I said I would never ever by another john deere. Well after numerous complaints to the dealer today I went to get more parts for the junk box. While I was there complaining once again a bigwig from JD approached me and I told him the story from begining to end. Had the parts dept pull my parts order sheet up and he started making deals. So here is how it ends. A brand new 50 hp at the pto with a $4,500 loader, got him to swap out the junk industrial tires for Ag's, Rops, brush guards etc. Tractor retails for $30,000. He would give me book value of $9,000 for mine and the 4,500 dollars I spent on parts in the past 2 years towards it. Out the door price 16,500 0% financing for 60 months. Had him write up the paper work and give me time to chew on this one. Thing is all the problems I have complained about they changed. The front end on this one is pretty stout. Now the only great deal about this is the fact he was willing to put all that money on parts towards it. So what would you do. Buy it or not.

KenWP
03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Should only take a couple of weeks of sugaring to pay for it. Sort of nice to get your money sort of back on the deal. I guess you have to figure in your frustration level also.

Gary R
03-19-2010, 06:00 AM
$9,000 for your tractor? Who's book price? I don't think I've ever seen a John Deere sell for that cheap. I'd check the selling price of equivelant tractors in the area. If it is a good price I'd probably go for it if they threw in an extended warranty for the new one.

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Guess my question is the warrenty that comes with the new steel. If they will cover everything for a couple of years and you can get the $'s in use out of it, it sounds pretty good.
Doug

collinsmapleman2012
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
it depends on the model you are being offered... we have a 2009 3520 at our school and it has 30 something hp but it seems underpowered with a loader and backhoe and the hydraulics are weak and slow... before you buy it maybe take it for a test drive and use everything on it and see if they have something to lift with it and then if you like it get it. i also have to say tht our 2009 JD 5083 E utility tractor seems kinda weak but it also goes kinda fast... and if your doing a lotta loader work i reccomend getting hi flow hydraulics because itll save u a lotta time. last, an extended warranty is a great thing even if you have to buy it. good luck!!!

Dill
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Model numbers would help here.
If you were trading in a 7700 for a 30hp compact I'd say your crazy. But no hp or model numbers mean a WAG for all of us.

Haynes Forest Products
03-19-2010, 10:09 AM
3rdGen I wouldnt want to anyware near you if you dont take the deal and the front end craps out on you again:mad: Im with Collins have them throw in the extra warranty.

BarrelBoiler
03-19-2010, 10:40 AM
don't remember which JD you had but do remember you were really having problems with stuff that shouldn't be happening

you must be looking at a 5000 seris? 50 hp is a nice size
it sounds like a good deal to me. try it out at the dealer to see if you like the upgrades-- 0/60 it's like buying one from next door on time with a warrenty--that's pretty hard to beat

i bought a 990 fwd in 2004 new and its been a good worker for me doing small woodlots and thining type jobs and some garden work. all the repairs were caused by the operator not weakness on the tractors part
bottom line -- if i had a way to cover the payments and needed/wanted a 50hp tractor i would do it
good luck ( get the bigwigs number than if you have more problems you will know where to call:D )

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replys. I will elaborate a little further and some of the post were some of my concerns and they could not answer them. Firt off I have a 1050. rated at 33 hp at the pto but was dyno tested at JD at 40hp. The book value number was out of John deeres big thick book. I also told them (was guessing) it had 2500 hours on it but looking at it it only has 1900 so that is another 60cents an hour it is worth. The new one is a 5000 series. Heres the delima on the test driving. I want a gear driven tractor not a hydrostat. Hydro are nice for small jobs but just lack the torq for big work. Well they do not have any on the floor there or anywhere near me so It would have to be ordered. MY concern was it has 9F and 3R but no creeper gear and want to know how slow it will go. I have driven some other models and they just cruise to fast for pulling and woods work. Next thing is the hydraulic pump is only putting out around 6gph and I run a wood splitter of the PTO. They are putting a 5 year warranty on it on for a few extra bucks I can extend that. Ken a few extra weeks of sugaring is not happening this year for sure and would take alot of syrup to make 16,000 dollars in 2 weeks. I got a little time on the deal I may just take the paper work to Case and see if they will barter for a real tractor. Im on the fence guys.

Brokermike
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I had some serious issues with my Massey that I bought new in 07. I beat down doors testing different machines and ended up with a DK 45 Kioti. It has outworked every "domestic" machine I've ever run.

I think you could get at least book for your rig now, just look on tractorhouse for comparable pricing or ask some questions at tractorbynet.

Good Luck

Dill
03-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Ah now I can help.
We have a 5410 MFWD with loader.
I really like the shuttle transmission for haying. Ours is 2-R and 1-3, makes loader work and baling quick. We've had some issues with the transmission the range selector went, but we where able to fix it without splitting. Had a brake lining fall apart last year, in order to replace the axles had to be pulled, that was 2500+. Some people have complained about going through starters and flywheels we haven't seen that. But it starts hard, she really wants to be plugged in below 40. One thing I have noticed is how light the tractor is compared to my Zetor or other 65-70 hp tractors. It does trailer well, and has a good turning radius. We've had good luck with it in the woods. Dad does his firewood with it, so I wouldn't know specifics on that. Bought it used with 1500 hours 3 years ago, its got 2950 on it now.

I'd stay away from the new Massey's everyone that I know that uses them for actual farming not "acerage" has had issues. A buddy of mine got them to give him a deal on a bigger one after the same warranty issue on his 60hp happened 4 times. Now the loader on the 75hp keeps knocking out the fuel system.

michiganfarmer
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I hate compact tractors to begin with. You can buy an old 80 horse farmall, for around $6000.

I guess if it was me, Id fix the one you have, sell it, and buy a regualr farm tractor... Old and used.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks Dill that is the stuff I want to hear, what are the problems. Never thought to look at the weight of the tractor I will have to do a comparison. Thing is with the turbo diesel I have on my current deere is it has more power than the tractor can handle. I am still trying to figure out how it can have 9F and 3R gears when it only has a high low range and no creeper gear. How do you get 9F, 4 high and 4 low is eight where the heck does the 9th one come from? Dealer nor the bigwig could answer that one. Just said it must be a misprint. Yeah great answer. Like Haynes said if I don't get it he would not want to be around me when my old one breaks but I don't think he would want to be in the same state if the new one did. Maybe I should take the deal and have them deliver it to another dealer and use it for a trade in lol. Atleast that way I can recoup the $4500 in parts I spent that they would take off the purchase price. Be kinda funny I think. A little payback for my fustration.
Michigan Farmer before this deal came up that was exacally what I was considering doing. Got quite a few used tractor dealers around me and was thinking about trading up towards a good used older tractor that was made to work not to play. That still is in my thoughts as well. Heck I would save enough to give it a good ole paintjob and it would look good too.

Dill
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Well ours is 2 sticks. One for the range 3 ranges unsnyched A,B,C and the gear stick which is snyced, P (tractor must be in P to start this used to bug me)
then 2-R (nice for loader work) and 1-3 which I like to use when baling speed up or slow down without stopping. The bad thing is going from 3-R while your in C range going down the road. Oh that's another thing it only goes 18. Which feels way slower than the 21 our 2440 does. The 5410 has good power for what we do. Its a complex game for a farming tractor on small fields, but we run 8ft mowers and a 4x4 Krone round baler, and a 3 bottom plow.
I agree with you on the hyrdos for field work. Can't stand hard enough on that pedal.

The Massey issues I've seen are transmission and front axles. The axles aren't heavy enough for loader work. The transmission just seem to be terrible and weak clutches.

Fred Henderson
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
OK Derrick heres my 2 cents. if that 50 HP does not put out more that 6GPM its junk. I think that you will find that the power steering uses the 6GPM. A hydro tranny is the best in the world( I don't have one) the only thing that will kill one is drity oil. Farmall had one years ago in their 806 model and others and they are still going. If you do much loader work you will love the hydro. Presion control with good hyraulic flow at the same time. I have a Kubota M5040 with 46 HP at the PTO.

michiganfarmer
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
my dad has a 4x4 john deere 2550 with a john deere loader. Its 55 horse. we have moved a couple thousand round bales with it, and havent had a problem with the eingine, tranny or loader. they are kind of pricey, but from what Ive seen they are a very durable tractor. I dont have much use for any john deere except the old 2 cylinders, but this 2550 has been a good tractor. Dad paid $17,000 for it when it had 4000 hours on it. What I like about farmall is they are sometimes half the price of the same size john deere. I know a guy who says, " I drive red so I can put the green in my pocket" lol

Dill
03-19-2010, 03:31 PM
a 6gpm pump seems really low. But if you have a pto powered splitter your set I know a splitter run off of a 8gpm is wicked slow.
I'm sure our 5410 has a faster pump, the loader is plenty quick
Deere's are pricey. I'm on the fence as to getting one to replace my Zetor. I've been looking at Fords 56,66 and 77 series tractors. They seem like a lot more tractor for less cash.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Fred Hydros definately have their place but just not in my garage. I have used a Montana, Cub cadet, and a NewHolland all hydros. Yes the are nice and agile and quick to manuver but just plain old stink when it comes to pulling and pushing. When they are being worked hard they just stop moving. Kinda like saying I give up and cant go any farther. I want a gear driven tractor one that will pick the front tires of the ground when I got a big ole log on the back dragging through the woods lol. Unfortunelty woodsplitter is hydraulic. I looked it up again and the hydraulic pump is a 6gpm. I just have to think I am gonna kill a modern compact. The more I think about this is yes it might be a great deal but dang I thought the last one I bought was too. If there was a way to change out the front end on the one I have now I would be happy. Fred when you say the engine is junk if it only puts out 6gpm is there a corralation between the hydraulic pump and motor? Like a bigger faster pump would overpower the motor? Again Thanks Guys Oh by the way it has a Yanmar diesel in it which I have in my current tractor and it has been the best part about it.

Fred Henderson
03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
That JD has more than a 6GPM pump on it. Give me the model number and I will research it. My Kubota has a 14 GPM. The Bota also has a gear tranny but a hydraulic shuttle shift. F & R, no clutch needed.

I researched the JD 5000 series and I see 40 L on the hyd pump which converts to 10.56 GPM. As for the tranny I see no hydro . The 9F & 3 R are gears and it has a ceramicmetalic clutch disc and that is not a hydro.

I did a 5325 and it show 19.5 GPM

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 09:58 PM
5055E Fred. But that is where some of my confusion comes in. The specs on their webpage does not match the ones on the brochure they gave me. The one on the website shows a John Deere motor and the brochure says a Yanmar. There are a few other small differences as well. I am thinking maybe to get the price down it could be an alternative option with different specs. Cheaper stuff on it maybe.\

Fred did a little searching myself. It seems the power steering pump is 6.8 and the hydraulics are 11.4 still seems a little slow but not sure. Gotta look at the pump on mine. I think that one is slow and for some reason I remember it being like 12.7 gpm.

Russell Lampron
03-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Go to www.tractordata.com for tractor specs. I was wondering when someone was going to post something about loving their Kubota. It took a while but Fred finally did. If I were to buy a new tractor I would look at those first. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them and there are alot of them out there.

Fred Henderson
03-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Rus, This is the second Kubota that I have had. JD around here is way over my budget.

Fred Henderson
03-20-2010, 06:29 AM
5055E Fred. But that is where some of my confusion comes in. The specs on their webpage does not match the ones on the brochure they gave me. The one on the website shows a John Deere motor and the brochure says a Yanmar. There are a few other small differences as well. I am thinking maybe to get the price down it could be an alternative option with different specs. Cheaper stuff on it maybe.\

Fred did a little searching myself. It seems the power steering pump is 6.8 and the hydraulics are 11.4 still seems a little slow but not sure. Gotta look at the pump on mine. I think that one is slow and for some reason I remember it being like 12.7 gpm.

I will say this lightly, when you go to look at buy a tractor do your homework first. When the sale person realizes you have done so they won't try to puff something by you and will give up a little more info.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/7/9/5791-john-deere-5055e.html. Take a look here

From what I have read at the above web site this tractor will get down and drity in the woods or any kind of work. The power reverser, well you will just love it. The JD is very comparable to my Kubota, rear tire are the same, hyd GPM is more on the JD. Have them bring it out and try it on your tuff.

Dill
03-20-2010, 08:05 AM
I think you have a lousy dealer.
Are they more of lawn and garden place? Deere puts limits on how big a tractor that type of dealer can sell or maintain and the 5000 series is it. So I'm willing to bet they are not that knowledgeable on the larger end of their inventory.

3rdgen.maple
03-20-2010, 11:38 AM
No Dill they are an Ag dealer. Think they have one lawnmower there and tractors bigger than my house. Like I said earlier I cannot test the exact tractor or even sit on it. There is not one in the state according to them. If I give the thumbs up they will order it in. I can however try out the comparible hydrostat. Pretty much the same except the tranny. But that is my main concern is how slow it will go and how much torq it will provide me. Really hard looking at a spec sheet and putting it to reality. Fred thanks for the feedback. I have not looked at Kubota's in a few years. Last time I looked the dealer toldd me I would kill one in a hurry. So never looked again. Maybe things have changed since then. Just wish they had the tractor on the floor so I could give it a workout.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I have a Kubota L3400 I bought new about 4.5 years ago. It is not in the same class as the tractors you are discussing as it is only 34.7 HP, but it is a fine little tractor. It has the old style trany where you have to be completely stopped to shift even in the same range, but from my understanding, that type of transmission is the most durable made but a little annoying sometimes. Once you get used to it, it really isn't a big deal.

Biggest thing that sold me on it was the price. It didn't have any bells or whistles, but by far the best deal on a 35hp tractor when I bought it and I looked at all the major brands. Bucket is extremely heavy and does detach from the tractor.

My dad and uncle both have JD tractors in the 5000 series. One is 55hp and the other is around 70 to 75 hp and they have never had the first problem with theirs and both have around 2,000 hours on them or more and one is about 15 years old and the other is 10. I would like to have purchased green but the green paint was at least 3k more on a tractor similar to what I bought.

Fred Henderson
03-20-2010, 02:58 PM
No Dill they are an Ag dealer. Think they have one lawnmower there and tractors bigger than my house. Like I said earlier I cannot test the exact tractor or even sit on it. There is not one in the state according to them. If I give the thumbs up they will order it in. I can however try out the comparible hydrostat. Pretty much the same except the tranny. But that is my main concern is how slow it will go and how much torq it will provide me. Really hard looking at a spec sheet and putting it to reality. Fred thanks for the feedback. I have not looked at Kubota's in a few years. Last time I looked the dealer toldd me I would kill one in a hurry. So never looked again. Maybe things have changed since then. Just wish they had the tractor on the floor so I could give it a workout.

I can not for the life of me see why you keep refering to the 5055E as a hyrdostat because it is not. Welll away I give up.

BarrelBoiler
03-20-2010, 05:47 PM
3rdgen:
when i went hunting tractors i looked at most of the major ones. at the time i really liked the NHtd50 for getting on and off of but went with the JD for price and the financing. with my experience with my 990 in the woods i would get another one.
i went to the JD web site to look up the tractor their offering and if i was getting a deal like that i'd jump if the payment moneies were availible(in my case ) the thing i like the best is the big front end with the plantaries, ruggeder than my 990 looks like a good size to get around in the woods with. the shuttle shift makes life easier on the clutch when doing loader work. it really sounds like a good deal wher else (useing the 16000 for 60 mons) are you going to get a new tractor for 300+/- a month
i havn't look up what part of NY your in probably the middle or way up north:) but find out where one of these tractors is and take a ride other size tractors use the 9/3 tranny too

anyway, sounds like a good deal, you know what your going to use it for and the paces and places your going to put it through
my two cents your choice good luck

3rdgen.maple
03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
I can not for the life of me see why you keep refering to the 5055E as a hyrdostat because it is not. Welll away I give up.

Fred you are misunderstanding me. I am not refering to the 5055E as a hydrostat. What I have been trying to tell you is they do not have a 5055E on the lot but they have the comparible tractor that is a hydrostat that I could test out if I wanted. I think it was a 4320 or something like that.

Fred Henderson
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
OK then the difference in those two would be like night and day. There would be no comparison in that case.

3rdgen.maple
03-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks gentlemen I appreciate the responses. I think I have pretty much got my answers and will me making a decision. I have till april 30 before the deal runs out. So in the meantime I will be looking over other tractors and such. I will tell you at this point it sounds like a good deal. I am very dissapointed in John Deere equipment and that is really hindering my decision. I owned Case tractors up till I got this one and not one of them disappointed me. So I think I need to take a good look at them as well. Saving 4 or 5000 bucks doesn't mean much if it is broke all the time. But it may end up being the best one I have ever had. I will let you guys know what I decide and Im sure I will be back with more questions on other brands as well. Heck Like already said and like I have already thought about I could get an older one that was built to last and save even more. Bottom line is I really don't care if it is all shiny and has blinkers, a horn, air ride seat, or any other comfort features. I want one that starts and does everyhting I ask it to with minimum problems. Looking at tractors so far it seems they just load them up with little useless gems just to lure you into buying. It also seems they put alot of effort into making it easy enough for a 5 year old to use to open up a wider consumer base instead of making a tough non-disposable tractor without all the plastic. If I could find someone or a diy on putting a different front axle assembly on the one I have now I would be content. Again thanks I will let you know.

BarrelBoiler
05-03-2010, 05:30 AM
sssooo did you get the tractor ? i have been real busy the past few weeks and may have missed something inquiering minds and nosey neighbors want to know:D :D

3rdgen.maple
05-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Well No I did some tractor sole searching and I just could not bring myself to go down the john deere road again. Yeah it was a good deal for sure but what is a good deal if the thing is broken. A chance I took once and will not do again. Got my eye on a case I got to take a look at.