PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on using aluminum to frame a new arch

Clan Delaney
03-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Are there obvious downsides to framing a new arch out of aluminum square pipe? None of it would be in direct contact with the fire, but behind brick and blanket. I can't envision the outside of an insulated arch getting hot enough to melt it.

markct
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
it likely would work, but keep in mind it expands alot when hot, so even mild warm it may cause your pans to not sit flat when realy cranking, i know even my steel arch which is well insulated moves a bit and makes the pans not seal perfect after a good hot run. and anywhere steel and alum join is asking for corrosion.

red maples
03-18-2010, 03:41 PM
be careful with aluminum it really doesn't take the heat well. it will also flex wierd too.

Haynes Forest Products
03-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Im with the others that bolting or pop riviting to the frame will expand at differant rates. Plus electrolysis between the metals inhanced with acids could be a problem over time. Clan sounds like you havent been out networking with the common folk:o You need a few more friends with piles of precious recycleables:) Every time I have posted on Craigs list or looked in the free section I get call about what I have asked about.