PDA

View Full Version : The end is Near in Rochester

backyardsugarer
03-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Started the vac pump this morning. Pulling 21" and a little cloudy sap is being pulled. This is the slowest and cloudiest sap has been.

Chris

danno
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
You know your making commercial when your boiling in a t-shirt and getting bit by mosquitos:)

I'm fine making commercial. That's what pays for next year's additions. I'm keeping the vac on 24/7 just trying to keep those taps open until the cool down next week. Buckets are running clearer than tubing - but I guess if I poured 500 buckets in the same tank, it would not look so clear any more?

Plan to clean everything this weekend for hopefully the cleaner sap next week - expect that it will remain commercial.

briduhunt
03-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I was talking to a older sugar maker who hjas been making syrup for over 40 years now and he seems to think we will have some more sap days to come. I went and visited him yesterday and I point blank asked him if our season was over. He said he remembers a few different years when we had the same weather patterns that we are now having and he said that after the weather got back to the normal tempature ranges we ended up with about 2 more weeks of sap. He is all on gravity and buckets, like most of us smaller guys, and he has out over 4500 total taps. I was half tempted to pull my taps this weekend but I think I might just ride it out. It can not hurt, at most it will only delay my cleaning duties.

In it for the long haul.

Brian Ledoux
03-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I am with Briduhunt. Keeping tapped for a while longer just going to hope that the weather people are wrong and we get a few more cold nights mixed in that were not expected. Wouldn't be the first time the weather folks predicted the weather wrong.

wnybassman
03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
You know your making commercial when your boiling in a t-shirt and getting bit by mosquitos:)

I have boiled five times this season, and three of those five times I have worn shorts. :rolleyes:

They are keeping the house we are drywalling very warm for us, so shorts have been worn everyday for the last two weeks. It just carrys over to the boiling after work :cool:

Normally I watch the plows go by while I'm outside boiling.

On the way home from Batavia yesterday, I noticed tons of buds popping out on various maples.

backyardsugarer
03-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Started the vac pump this morning and I was not getting much. 65 today so it could be a tough weekend.

Chris

danno
03-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Chris - I'm with you. Sap on vacuum has slowed down.

backyardsugarer
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I am glad to have made the syrup I have with this crazy weather. Oh well, maybe by Monday if bacteria has not clogged everything up.

Chris