PDA

View Full Version : arch doors

maplerob
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
what r u guys using 4 arch doors

buxtonboiler
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Depends on your arch. Is it homemade? I have seen guys use the door kits from Vogelzang. I made my arch from an oil tank and am using a piece of 1/4" steel plate that i insulated with 1/2" ceramic blanket and it works fine.

valleyman
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Here's a deluxe Vogelzang door. I push some air from a small fan through the lower door and I have good results

junkyard
08-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Mine is an old cast iron door made by a local foundry about 75 years ago.
Junkyard

Ausable
08-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Sounds like an old furnace door - should work just fine. Mine is an old Vogelzang barrel kit stove door and have a small sheet steel door for my ash cleanout and that works ok for me. Make lots of Maple Syrup ------

Haynes Forest Products
08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I tried wood doors one year and it worked for about 10 min:cry: Maplerob your Computer:rolleyes is leaving alot of words out of your sentences:rolleyes:

TF Maple
08-26-2010, 08:48 AM
I would check the metal recycling yards or junkyards to see if they have any salvaged doors from furnaces or boilers. I have a son-in-law who is renovating an old school house for his home. He had an old boiler in the basement and when I helped him work on removing it, I got the doors from it, swweeet.

Haynes, when I'm typing on here I have to be careful about falling into phone texting mode too. If I do u will c stuff like this. So I have 2 b careful.:lol:

Haynes Forest Products
08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Ya Hea You betcha I understand. :lol: TF

Dennis H.
08-26-2010, 04:50 PM
What the heck is Texting?:lol:

3rdgen.maple
08-26-2010, 10:14 PM
lol another thread we managed to steal lol. Most my customers send me service call via text nowdays. I sit there most times going wtf are they talking about lmao. Idk what they are even trying to tell me.
Maplerob what size arch are you looking to put doors on. I have a set of 3x8 doors I promised another trader that ended up not needing them. If interested Ill give you the same deal. Send me a prepaid shipping box to your address and I send them along. LMK b4 someone else gets them.

Turtlecreek
08-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I got my door at tractor supply. It is from a barrel stove kit, it works ok but I use forced air in my barrel and it blows out the door. This year I will be buying one of the volkenez doors delux kit as previously pictured. They are air tight ant that should fix the fire problem. As soon as I figure out how not to get fire flying out the door all of the time I will build a shack.

moeh1
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Any thoughts on one of these access doors?
http://www.elitedeals.com/cpf-61060.html

Turtlecreek
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
The problem with that door is a couple of things.

They are meant for a chimney cleanout so I'm not sure how the would hold up to the heat we are throwing at them.

There is no draft door, that is a must since you will need to keep the fire roaring without leaving the doot open.

There is no positve locking mechanism that you will need to latch the door so if you are forcing air fire doesn't blow out the door.

I'm not sure how air tight it will be if you can put a gasket in it or not.

I would think you could probobly get a barrel stove kit for the same price or less.

moeh1
11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Turtlecreek, I looked at several brands, one was definitely gasketed for airtight operation and also had an insulation kit avaliable for it for about $30. I'd be interested in using a blower and thought the lack of inlets was a plus. The real concern was coming up with some sort of cam lock mechanism without stressing the door but shutting it well. The barell kits are slightly smaller opening I think and somewhat suspect on longevity, maybe keep looking.....?

Dennis H.
11-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't imagine that it would be any worse than I barrel stove door.
The door kit that I used on my barrel evap was ok but I thought it was kind of cheap. It did warp some with the high heat that I was throwing at it.

As for a ash/draft door either just make one out of plate steel or get a smaller ash door like the one you showed us. There will be some heat there but no where near what the firedoor will see.

I would give it a try. Now $80 is lot for a ash door though.

I aslo don't think it would take much to attach some braided flat gasket material around the opening for a better seal, if that is what you are looking for. Depending on how tight of a fit it is to begin with you might have to grind a little around the door to make some room for the extra thickness of the gasket.

And latch wise don't most ash doors have a means to hold them shut? The ones that I have seen you have to lift up on the door a little to open.