PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to find maple information?

eastcoasttapper
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I am looking for information pertaining to the science behind the whole maple syrup process.

I really want to know the interesting features of the process. Things like why and when does sap move through the trees. What factors affect how it moves. We all know cold nights and warm days, but honestly, that doesn't hold true sometimes.

How is the sap produced in the tree and what is it used for?

Why do moths flock to the sap buckets and how do they know they are there?

How does the sap move from one pan to the next. At what point will boiling sap and newly added sap mix together?

What causes sugar sand and how is it formed?

My son asks a lot of great questions as we go about collecting. I'd love to have the proper answers for him. Are there any resources out there that you can think of ?

BryanEx
03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
The North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual is what you are looking for. It answers every question you asked (except maybe the moths) plus 13 chapters more. Most maple suppliers either carry it or can order it for you along with most Provincial or State associations. Of course a lot of real life info can also be gained here on Maple Trader as well.

eastcoasttapper
03-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I just checked and my local library has that particular book! Thank you so much! For what is basically a simple process - removing the water from the sap - there are so many interesting questions to ask and facts to learn.

TF Maple
03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
I just found this website today and learned a few things myself. http://employees.csbsju.edu/ssaupe/biol327/Lab/maple/maple-sap.htm

ennismaple
03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
The best place for maple info is right here! There's lots to learn no matter how big or small your operation. It's not a good time of year for quick responses though... too many guys are married to a hot piece of stainless steel!