PDA

View Full Version : DIY Evaporator

tjintheshop
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Hello from Osseo, WI. I have'nt made any syrup for over twenty years but got the itch from reading this site. My hat is off to everyone who posts on here. This weekend, I built an evaporator in my shop. It is 2x6 but I only have a 2x3 pan. Made it for future growth if needed. Had a local amish shear the sheet metal that is 1/8th mild steel. The frame is made out of 3/16th angle and the angle that I used for firebox is 1/4 inch. The front of the firebox is also made out of 1/4 inch flat stock.
I have to weld in the starter pipe for the smoke stack and build the door tonight. Got a pile of old grader blades that I am going to cut and use for grates and also got to build the levelers on the feet yet. Going to brick and seal with caulk before my first firing which I hope will be this week. Want to get it ready for this weekend. What do you guys think? Will it work?

Thanks

buxtonboiler
03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Looks good. Keep us posted on how it works.

Haynes Forest Products
03-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Looks great I would cross brace the arch cover and oil it with a slab of bacon and remember that it is the best grittle you will have. I would insulate with some heat blanket so you dont burn the Pancakes.;)

tjintheshop
03-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Fired up the new evaporator for the first time ever. Got water to boil in 30 mins after we figured out we had damp wood. Went to the amish and cut up some pine slabs and the heat went up and the boil started. Drained the water and filled it with 7 gallons fo sap. Boiled it for two hours and then drained it off and finished on turkey cooker. Ended up with 3 1/2 pints of med dark syrup but tastes awesome. Cooked hot dogs on the pan behind the evaporator and washed them down with a few cold ones. Thanks to everyone who posts here to get me going on the syrup fever. Finally ot cold last night so the trees are still dripping hard. Going to fire it up Monday night for another batch. :)