PDA

View Full Version : Creative sources for materials

Clan Delaney
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
As I'm starting to have dreams about building a new arch for next year, the first question is price. So, where can I come by materials at a reduced or non-cost? The first thing that came to mind was to look for metal bed rails to use as angle iron. Heavy yes, but likely free.

I've read of other great finds here: like fire bricks salvaged out of old oil burners, and stainless steel sheet taken off of old tanker trucks. What's the best re-purposed materials you've used in cobbling together your maple operation?

BarrelBoiler
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
clan
just before spring clean up days if you have them you might find bed rails waiting to be pickup and could knock on the door
some one on here got his stainless from the metal recycler i think is was a commerical refrigerator door or two if memory serves he told the guy what he was going to use it for and got the "Maple" discount

Gravel
03-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Bed frames for sure, I got mine beside the road for free, 2 of them and built a 2x6 out of them, works great!

Haynes Forest Products
03-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I came close the other day when I was dining at my favorite resturant. They were in the prosess of changing out the soda machines and there in front of me at the drive thru were 6 110volt motors brass bodied gear pumps complete with switches and solinoids, coils, drip trays. and all sorts of cool stuff:) But sadly the small thinking soda teck could only think about scrapping the stuff for cash and when presented with both cash, cash and syrup he didnt want to do it so off it all went to a scrap yard:mad:

Clan Delaney
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I came close the other day when I was dining at my favorite resturant. They were in the prosess of changing out the soda machines and there in front of me at the drive thru were 6 110volt motors brass bodied gear pumps complete with switches and solinoids, coils, drip trays. and all sorts of cool stuff:) But sadly the small thinking soda teck could only think about scrapping the stuff for cash and when presented with both cash, cash and syrup he didnt want to do it so off it all went to a scrap yard:mad:

Small thinking indeed. Some people just have no outlook.

C.Wilcox
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
If you live in a rural area keep your eyes open for rockpiles at the local farms. Farmers love to take old junk out and toss it on the rockpile to get it out of the way. Sometimes that junk includes old equipment made of heavy angle iron, flats, tubes, etc . As an example, I just dug up the frame of an old tow-behind seeder from under the leaves in the woods I tap. The steel is rusty, but still in great shape and could definitely be used to build a nice arch. Most of the farmers I know would find it quite amusing that someone is asking for their old junk and with a bit syrup to grease the deal, would likely part with it without too much of a fight.

Maplesedge
03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
The dump (sorry, re-cycling center) in Leicester has a hugh pit of metal items you can pull from, as well as the best leave-it take it area of any dump in Mass. And you dont have to be a resident either, but there is a yearly fee, resident or not. $20 I believe. That's where I get my stacks.

It's amazing how many dumps will kick you out just because you're not a resident! And I'm not even dumping, just there to take stuff.

If anyone's interested: I bought this house last year and down at the edge of the woods, overgrown in vines, is the steel frame of a flatbed trailer, maybe 10 or 15 feet long or so. I think the wheels are still good too. You may be able to tow it away, but I haven't really tried to move it. Free to a good home, but always willing to sample the wares of another boiler.

Also, used restaurant supply houses have great stuff and are just fun to poke around in. That's where I found my pan, also $20.

You might get free fire bricks at demolition sites.

wnybassman
03-18-2010, 04:36 PM
I have worked with bed frame rails on other projects I have tinkered with and can say they are VERY difficult to cut and drill. I toasted many a bits and blades before deciding not to use them.

Clan Delaney
03-18-2010, 05:12 PM
I have worked with bed frame rails on other projects I have tinkered with and can say they are VERY difficult to cut and drill. I toasted many a bits and blades before deciding not to use them.

tempered steel, perhaps?

Haynes Forest Products
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Bed frames,rebar and T stakes all seem to be rolled out of the same RR track that has been over worked and reheated 20 times rendering it hard as heck:mad: But it welds ok

Grizz747
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
In my block evaporator I have 2 oven racks stacked on top of each other then on top of fire bricks for a grate. They deform some but this is the second year and they are still working. I have 2 more that I got from an oven on the curb last week for next year.

RockFarm
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
I had been boiling using a couple of turkey fryers and was looking for a pan. One day I stopped by a junk shop on the way home from a sap run, and saw a steam table leaning up against the outside of the building. I went over to look at it, thinking how great it would be to have a nice big stainless steel pan like that with a drain valve already built in and a shelf underneath where I could easily fit 3 turkey fryer burners.
The guy at the place says "Ya like that? A hundred dollars."
Well, my brain nearly exploded, :o but I tried to remain cool. :-| I had to tie it into the bed of my pickup with the tailgate down (6-1/2 ft. bed). I figured I could scrap the thing out for more than $100.
It works great (for a propane fueled evaporator):emb: I can put 40 gallons or more in it at a time.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Im thinking the most creative place to find some material is at Clan's:D

KenWP
03-19-2010, 05:49 AM
I thought I found a great sorce for metal close by until I tried to use some of it. It's used band saw blades from the hardwood mill but I was only able to drill one hole in the crap so gave up on that idea. I also figured it would be easy to bend into a circle. Idea number two down the drain. So gave up and found something else. I am amazed how much scrap steel on can pick up.

Haynes Forest Products
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Ken when you picked up the steel from the mill did you notice the SHARP POINTY THINGS ON ONE SIDE:rolleyes: I hade a brother inlaw that told me once that "if its free take it you can always get rid of it" I have never looked back.

moeh1
03-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Ken,
If you want to drill holes in that bandsaw stock, take the temper out first. Us a busted drill ground flat or even a wood dowel and run it against the bandsaw until the friction really heats up, that will let you drill it.

Big_Eddy
03-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I found 4 stainless steel flip top Frost garbage bins in the metal bin at work. They were starting to come apart at the seams. When I flattened them out, each one provided 2 pieces of 22 gauge stainless 22"x28"

There was enough stainless in them to do the sides of my homemade arch. (My wife didn't want me to make pans out of them)

Even mild steel would have cost me $200 to do the sides.

KenWP
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Ken,
If you want to drill holes in that bandsaw stock, take the temper out first. Us a busted drill ground flat or even a wood dowel and run it against the bandsaw until the friction really heats up, that will let you drill it.

Now thats a idea. And yes Hanyes I noticed the sharp carbide tips on the one side. For what I wanted it for it would have been great. I was going to line the inside of the arch with them. The one peice I did use in the fire box is holding up great.

maple flats
03-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Now that's a good idea. Instead of splitting the wood so small just put saw blades every 2 inches and saw the wood as you throw it in. Don't know why I never thought of that!

Pete S
03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
I found that finding an old coal/wood fired furnace door, cast iron, not only looks very cool but it won't warp,..................and already made!

A pint of syrup will typically score one of those from a heating contractor who "updates" houses with new furnaces.

Bed frames I believe are high carbon and hard as bricks. Abrasive wheels to cut and weld,.................drilling is futile!

Scrap duct is sometimes easy to find,.............6-8" and possibly 10" round for stacks!

Stop sign post work well for fire grates. How you find yours is totally up to you. ;-)