PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice

jordy95
03-16-2010, 09:53 AM
trying to deside on leader half pint or w.f mason 2x3 evaporator.thank for any help.

JuniperHillSugar
03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
I'll start by saying that I have a W. F. Mason 2x4 Hobby evaporator and I am very pleased with it. Bill Mason is located in Porter, Maine and has a great reputation. His workmanship is excellent and you'll find him to be a real good guy.

I priced the Leader half pint (about 24" x 33") and I priced Mason's 2x4 (24"x48") and I think that Bill's larger unit was still a little lower in price. If you're in Maine I think that any sugarhouse you visit will have something that Bill has built.

My vote is to stay local and go with the W. F. Mason.

sap seeker
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I would echo Juniper Hill. Always go local when possible, IMO. I went to a friends house sat. morning to watch his Mason 2X3 in action, pretty smooth setup for sure, he loves it.

Gravel
03-16-2010, 11:10 AM
I would buy a 2x6 cause you are going to get hooked and want to go bigger in a couple years!

buxtonboiler
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I can't vouch for Leader, lots of folks have them. I bought a 2X4 mason this year and I love it. Great prices, service and all the free help and advice you want.

stoweski
03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I would buy a 2x6 cause you are going to get hooked and want to go bigger in a couple years!

Yea, I pretty much feel that way right now. I have a 1/2 pint, picked it up used thinking that I'd stay with it and not go larger. Well, it's only the end of my first season and I'm already looking at a 2x6! I like the idea of boiling after work since I can start at 4 and end around 10 and get a bit of sap boiled down each night. I got close to 20 gal boiled each night now. I want to get it up to 50 or more. A 2 x 6 would help me meet that goal.

Anyone got a good one for sale? :)

sapbrush
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
i have a half pint have had it for years, dont need but 5 gallons in the pan to fire it up, and another in the preheater, so it takes a little sap to start it , with a blower and air tight door and good small wood i burn palletts mixed with some small hardwood tou can get 8 to 10 gallons an hour out of itm i love mine and never will get any bigger , great product, pans have held up for over 10 years with no sign of any burning jim

Arctic Art
04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Bill has a new website--http://www.wfmasonwelding.com

Russell Lampron
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
Art if you post it like this http://www.wfmasonwelding.com it makes a link that you can click on. You will find Bill's stuff in NH too. I have a custom made feed tank for my evaporator and a custom made finisher pan. Both high quality items that get lots of compliments.

70 Buick
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Very nice product this place has
I was going to make one but if you are not that handy they are quite reasonably priced
Just wonder about getting it across the boarder
wonder igf anyone in Quebec makes these

BryanEx
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
wonder igf anyone in Quebec makes these
Try Patrick Phaneuf (http://www.maplesyrupevaporators.com) if you are looking for Quebec sources.