PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Martin

andrew martin
03-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I found this website by accident, and glad that I did. I live in Wilmore, KY - only 15 miles south of Lexington. Our syrup season is over. We tapped the first week in February and were done by last week February, and then had a short run in early March. I think I am the most southern person who has posted on this site, so far as I can tell. I would like to contact other syrup producers from Kentucky.
I fell into this "hobby" by accident when my father in law from CT sent me ten taps and buckets. This year, our second year, we had forty taps. Next year I hope to go into business with 200 taps. My wife is very patient. We have refined our process a little, and we now know not to burn apple or walnut over an open fire, for the smoke from these woods impart off-flavors to the syrup. Hoping to buy a used evaporator and get set up by December 2005.

AKM

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Andrew,

Welcome! I will have to check out the map and see if you are further south than me. I am in Beckley, WV, so we should be close. :D

syrupmaker
03-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Brandon...near as i can tell your still the southern boy.Only by a couple chains and maybe 3 links though. Pretty close :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rick