PDA

View Full Version : Lollipop question

whiteout
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I made my first batch of suckers usign a recipe found here ont he forum, which was 12 oz Maple Syrup, 4 oz Kero Syrup, heat to 275 and then pour into molds. I was so excited cause the suckers turned out, look very nice, to me not much of a maple flavor though. But my question is, though they are hard once you start to suck on them they get very sticky and stick to your teeth, big time. Why is that? I wanted to sell them at a festival this weekend but I can't cause I don't want someones filling to come out with the sucker.
Can anyone tell me what may have went wrong, I am sure they are not suppose to be like that.
Thanks for any info.

BascomMapleGirl
03-18-2010, 07:12 AM
I've never made lollipops using that recipe, so I'm not sure about the particulars. However, I do have a recipe that I've used multiple times and don't ever remember them ending up "sticky" afterwards:
2 cups Syrup
2/3cup Glucose (available at candy supply stores)

Cook together without stirring to hard ball stage. Pour into greased lollipop molds. Press a stick into each one and allow to harden. store in plastic when cool.

Good luck!

mapleman3
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
equal amounts of dark maple syrup, white sugar and karo syrup... heat with constant stirring to 300 deg, then pour into molds(lollipop molds not sugar candy molds) let cool. the kids LOVE them.... Thanks to TheMapleKing for teaching me this recipe!

I usually do a cup of each for around 60+ leaf suckers