PDA

View Full Version : Oven door for block arch

fishweasel
03-15-2010, 01:57 PM
My neighbor and I dismantled a junked stove and used the door assembly for our block arch. We welded up a simple frame of c-channel steel with some legs to support it. It isn't fastened to the block at all. The gap beneath the door provides sufficient draft for our five inch stack, although you can leave the door cracked for more air if necessary.

The nice thing is that the door is insulated and has a built-in handle. This makes it really easy to add wood to the fire. I thought that other folks trying to get by on the cheap might appreciate this suggestion.

For those lacking a welder (or welding ability), we could have also drilled some holes in the end blocks with a masonry bit and screwed the door assembly on using some lag bolts. The sheet metal frame that came off the stove would have been plenty sturdy to do it that way.

RileySugarbush
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Brilliant!

Even more fun if you had one with a window.

valleyman
03-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Very Cool. Nice and creative.

lpakiz
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Great Idea!!!

BarrelBoiler
03-16-2010, 05:42 AM
neat idea have to tell us how the door is after the season condition wise

i'm not sure about one with a window --- wondering if teh window would stand up to the heat i know our self cleaning oven has a sheild over the window when its in clean mode---????????