PDA

View Full Version : doing my first boil ever! I have questions.

rustyinmaine
03-15-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks for checking this out. I am very new to this and have built my own evap. out of stuff in the yard. Going to do my very first boil tomarrow if weather holds. What are the do's and don't of it. I have a candy thermometer and at what should point I start to get the syrup out of the pan? What is scorching? Is there such a thing as to hard of a boil.? Oh man there so many more questions but I can't think of them right now. Thank for all the help on this site. everyone has been great!

fenwick865
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
this is my first year as well. iwas using a candy thermometer when i realized it was off by about 5*. I suggest getting a syrup hydrometer. spend some time searching this sight, loads of info. when finishing syrup whatch out for boilovers.

SilverLeaf
03-15-2010, 11:10 AM
If it's your first time, I would recommend not trying to finish the syrup on your pan. Just use it to get close to syrup, then draw off and finish on a pot on your stove where you have more control and can react quicker to any changes in temp, etc. It'll take a little longer, but that's a darn good thing when you're first learnin' the ropes. :D

One other thing - at some point the stuff will try to bubble/foam out of your pan or pot. When that happens you're not at syrup yet, but you're getting rather close! Scared the heck out of me the first time that happened. Don't let it continue to foam over or you'll have a sticky mess on your hands. Stay calm, and just turn down the heat a little (if on your stove) or put a drop of vegetable oil (or any other kind of cooking oil) in (if it happens in your pan) and the foam will kick down a bit.

Good luck!

rustyinmaine
03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I plan on finishing on the stove top or grill. What should I be looking for as a temp in the evaporator and then when it is on the stove. I have heard any where between 7 to 15 over the boiling point of water.

Gravel
03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
7 degrees over the boiling point of water, as you get closer to syrup you will notice the bubbles will get smaller, we can all tell you a lot of stuff but there is no better way to learn than to just do it!

SilverLeaf
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
It becomes syrup at 7 degrees above the boiling point of water, which is 212 degrees at sea level & normal atmospheric pressure. So under those "normal" conditions, it will become syrup at 219 degrees on the button. With altitude and/or changes in the atmospheric pressure, though, the boiling point of water can go up and so you would need to go 7 degrees above whatever the point water is boiling at on that day. Know that the boiling point of water can easily change a couple degrees in a day or even less.

My suggestions:
#1 - if you can't get a syrup hydrometer, at least get a second thermometer to hedge your bets in case one is malfunctioning. Test them in boiling water first to see what temp that's at for the day, and then just know to add seven more degrees for syrup.

#2 - for your first time, pull it off the pan when it's got for sure 3 degrees to go. Then you'll be safe. The final boil on your pot will probably still take 60-90 minutes, but as I said before, at least you'll have time to watch what happens closely and make mental notes.

And once you finish that first batch - enjoy! If you're not hooked already, the satisfaction from that first batch will get you forever...:lol:

PerryW
03-15-2010, 12:54 PM
When finishing on the stove, DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. When it gets close to syrup, it will quickly boil over and make a real big mess. Be prepared to quickly kill the heat or slide the pot quickly off the burner.

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Rusty If your boiling using wood and your close to the house have the garden hose close by and ON........DID I SAY ON..dribble it so it doesnt freeze. If no hose is near have a bucket of water. As stated when your getting close slow the fire down. Only throw a bucket of sap in if the syrup passes syrup and starts to go to bubbling If you waited to long SPRAY the fire out and the bottom of pan. A shovel is a must to remove the fire so the pans dont scorch. If you want to know what scorching is go inside and try ironing a shirt looks the same and smells as bad.

BRL
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Rusty, we have been drawing off at 218 deg. this year. Have fun.

maple flats
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Not sure where you heard 7-15 above boiling point of water. 15 is far too thick for on the evaporator. For your first try go 6 above and finish on the stove at 7 above. You will need to test the boiling point of water, it changes with every change in barometric pressure. If you are at sea level and the pressure is 29.92" it will boil at 212+7=219=syrup. Your best bet is to get a hydrometer. Every maple equipment dealer sells them. When you get one, measure exactly where the red line is and record it for future ref. If the hydrometer ever gets dropped into your test cup (or container) the paper can move when it hits the bottom. Your red line measurement will enable you to know if it moved and will allow you the reset it abn know when it is right again. Be very careful, hydrometers will not take droping on the floor (don't ask how I know)

wnybassman
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
When finishing on the stove, DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. When it gets close to syrup, it will quickly boil over and make a real big mess. Be prepared to quickly kill the heat or slide the pot quickly off the burner.

And if you do boil over on the stove, the best course of action would be to unhook the gas line and drag the stove out to the curb and put a free sign on it. :lol:

BryanEx
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
there is no better way to learn than to just do it!
Perfectly said and besides... making mistakes and working through the learning curve is half the fun. Even bad syrup is usually pretty good. Worst that can happen is you cost your self a few dollars on a boo-boo... or get banned from the kitchen each spring. :D