PDA

View Full Version : pressure filter

sap runner
03-14-2010, 10:01 PM
I am new to the electric pressure filter,used it for the first time today,works great but my filters plugged with only 4 gallons of syrup.Is this from using too much filter aid or just normal?

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Never seen a elec pressure filter:emb: I dont think filter aid can cause plugging regardless of the type of filter. Do you have a model of the unit so we can see it?

sap runner
03-15-2010, 09:21 AM
sorry,long weekend and could not remember the name<it is a Wes Fab filter press.Works great except the filter plugging after a short time.Each filter paper had about a 1/4" solid sand on it.Not sure if thats normal,also seems like more than normal sand in the bottom of my syrup pan.

mapleack
03-15-2010, 09:51 AM
What size wesfab press is it? How many plates?

Jim Brown
03-15-2010, 10:10 AM
We own a WesFab short 7 and we can filter about 10-15 gallon before she plugs.

May be using too much DE don't know!

Jim

sap runner
03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
7" short bank electric can't remember maybe 3 plates?

Clan Delaney
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't use a filter press, but here's a thought anyway - did you pre-filter the syrup? If not, you're gonna get lots of large debris and sand in the filters, instead of just catching the tiny particulates. Seems like all that gunk could indeed plug a filter.

Jim Brown
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Forgot to mention we felt cone filter right off the rig and then finish and then run through the filter press. Like Clan says the felt catches the big hunks! and the filter press catches the rest.

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds like your not using enough filter aid. I run my 7" 3 plate till the spaces are filled full. Make sure that you put more in its cheap and make sure that its well stired when you start the filtering and stire for a few min as its pumping/filtering.

maple flats
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes, if it plugs before the frames are completely full you did not use enough filter aid. For that size you should start with clean papers , HOT syrup, a gal or more and mix in 1.5 or 2 cups filter aid. Start the press and run it thru recirculation back into the container you mixed it in. When the discharge is crystal clear you can start putting the syrup into your canner. If you have a lot of syrup to do, after the initial filteraid charge you can use less, about 1/2 cup/gal early in the season, more towards the end. Do not prefilter the syrup, the niter in there helps filter the finished product. A filter press takes a little time to get the hang of but you will learn to love it with practice. After filtering you should find completely full frames if the filter plugged up. The papers do not filter, the filter aid does the filtering. When you use enough the filter will not plug because as you filter you keep depositing an ever thickening layer in the frames and that layer is the filter. When you use too little, a layer of niter biulds up and will not let anything more thru.
Good luck.
Dave

Woodland Acres
03-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I use to have the same problem with it only doing 3 or 4 gallons. I solved a lot of it by placing a milk house heater in front of it and covering the press with a lot of towels to hold the heat in the plates.Do this prior to firing the evaporator. Also use your relief valve when you start filtering this keeps a lot of pressure off your pump. I crack it open and leave it that way until I have ran all my syrup thru the press.

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Im amazed at what people will do to save a little money when it comes to making crystal clear syrup with a filter press. 1) filter as much as you can at one time. 2) Toss in alot of filter aid and run it till the pump squeaks. 3) when your done your done. 4) crack the plates apart and let drain. 5) clean filter and install new papers. Repeat the prosess. I see people wrap their pumps and put heat lamps on them to get one last filter when all along it was the filter is clogged. Woodland why not let all the pressure the pump is making to filter the syrup. If your bypassing the pump with the valve your not going to get the full use of the pump?

Woodland Acres
03-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Haynes I dont want to replace a 200$ pump or try to find one in mid season.I can now run 20 plus gallons thru my press before I need to change papers.I pull off a gallon of syrup every 15 minutes and have better things to do then clean my press every batch of syrup.The excessive pressure on the pump also backs the packing nut off on the pump pulley.

Haynes Forest Products
04-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Check it out all you do it yourselfers Item No 280477139931 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280477139931&ru=http://shop.ebay.com:80/%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m38.l1313%26_nkw% 3D280477139931%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_536wt_958)