PDA

View Full Version : More rain = more sap?

CitySlicker
03-14-2010, 10:26 AM
sorry for the potentially stupid question folks - but my sap has been running better than expected for the past several days here in NH. We haven't had a good freeze, but we did get some rain.

does more rain tend to yield more sap flow? it seems like this could be a reasonable assumption...

also - i do not think that my sap buckets are filling with rain - i think it is indeed sap, but i do not test the sugar content of my sap buckets. i guess i'll find out for sure when i boil this week.

TapME
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
sap indeed runs better before a rain and after a snow storm. I is the low pressure system that causes it. Hope that answeers your ?.

red maples
03-14-2010, 10:39 AM
there are no stupid questions on here!!!! somethings I wonder just the same!!! I just wait for other folks to ask...sooner or later someone will:emb:

yes pressure....low pressure outside high pressure inside then tree runs "easier"...think of it as a vacuum, decrease the pressure on the out side it creates a suction!!!

michelle32
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Brad hope you didn't tap any hollow trees or you will be sucking that swamp to your sap house.

Russell Lampron
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Sometimes the rain will make the sap stop flowing other times it will run good. It depends on how thirsty the trees are, temperature and wind direction. Barometric pressure has a role in it too but more often then not rain will shut the sap flow down unless you have vacuum.

rustyinmaine
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM
it has been raining in maine the last 2 days and my tree that was producing over a gallon a day has dwindle to almost nothing. It is still below freezing at night but the sun will be shining tomarrow. hopefully it gets going again.

3rdgen.maple
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Russell that is the way I see it also. When it rains the sap flows seem to stop.

Maple Hobo
02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
sorry for the potentially stupid question folks - but my sap has been running better than expected for the past several days here in NH. We haven't had a good freeze, but we did get some rain.

does more rain tend to yield more sap flow? it seems like this could be a reasonable assumption...

also - i do not think that my sap buckets are filling with rain - i think it is indeed sap, but i do not test the sugar content of my sap buckets. i guess i'll find out for sure when i boil this week.

Some of the old timers I've talked with call the rain driven water a sugar storm. Even under vacume when the rain speeds up the ground thaw we get a lot more water and for longer runs.

The problem is the sugar level starts to drop as it runs without a freeze to reset the trees.

At least from my perspective.