PDA

View Full Version : a bad day in sugarhouse

Mike in NY
03-13-2010, 05:32 PM
beats any day in the papermill. Think we are all done for this yr, gonna set the buckets on the ground in the am. will hope for a better year next yr
gonna hold off on pulling the taps yet

3rdgen.maple
03-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Mike where in NY are you? The forecast has changed and we are showing below freezing this coming week with friday and saturday around freezing then lows in the teens.

Mike in NY
03-13-2010, 06:05 PM
up close to southern tip of Lake George in kingsbury. Made almost 3 gallons today but gonna tear stuff down and clean up tomorrow.
not giving up but think today was probaly our last boil

gator330
03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm with you Mike, start clean up in the morning. Never had much luck in getting lighter and today was some dark B. Shure there is money in making B grade syrup but I can't make it easy enough to make it worth my time. Going to leave the taps in but may truck the sap to a guy I know with a 2x6 who wants more sap.

andrew martin
03-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Very interesting, the guys here in KY just pulled their taps last weekend, and our season went a bit longer (extra week) than it normally does. We have had an unusually cold winter and my guess is that most guys had their taps in 6-7 weeks.
SOrry you guys had a bummer of a season, and it seems now your getting socked with a bunch of rain.

Andrew

andrew martin
03-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey Mike,

You work at the Ticonderoga papermill? How is the mill doing? I have some friends who were engineers at the IP mill in Courtland, VA (used to be Union Camp), and they shut that mill down, or at least in the process. Sad situation, lots of people losing some good paying jobs, not to mention the town losing a great tax base.

Does a Paul Moore work at your mill, he and I were roommates at SUNY_ESF back in the 1992.

Andrew Martin

Mike in NY
03-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey Mike,

You work at the Ticonderoga papermill? How is the mill doing? I have some friends who were engineers at the IP mill in Courtland, VA (used to be Union Camp), and they shut that mill down, or at least in the process. Sad situation, lots of people losing some good paying jobs, not to mention the town losing a great tax base.

Does a Paul Moore work at your mill, he and I were roommates at SUNY_ESF back in the 1992.

Andrew Martin

No, I am probably 40 (?) miles southeast of IP. I work in a sm mill in Greenwich. Hollingsworth &Vose.
SUNY ESF?? new to me...
I graduated SUNY Cobleskill in 86

danno
03-15-2010, 08:30 PM
No, I am probably 40 (?) miles southeast of IP. I work in a sm mill in Greenwich. Hollingsworth &Vose.
SUNY ESF?? new to me...
I graduated SUNY Cobleskill in 86

ESF = Environmental Science and Forestry. Affiliated with Syracuse Univ.