PDA

View Full Version : vented taps

wanabe
03-15-2005, 12:02 PM
I was wondering this is my first year on lines. I am running gravity only Im noticing all my lateral lines seem to be full but I'm not getting much of a run. Should I have used vented taps or when they get running good will it push this sap into my mainlines? Also sould the upper end of my main lines be open or plugged? Thanks Jeff

Russ
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Jeff, I asked the same or a very similar question previously. Look for the discussion under Mini Gravity Networks in the Tubing Installation forum.

brookledge
03-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't know anybody who still uses a vented system. Lamb came out with them years ago and I believe they are still available. As Russs said the topic has been discussed in the past. You could go back and read up. As for your question if the sap is not running good venting it won't help. I personally think that a closed system is better. If you have good slopes it will create a little vacuum. Also make sure that you don't have too many taps on a lateral.
Keith

wanabe
03-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info I think most of my trees are still frozen solid I did get a little run today out of my lines in the direct sun. Weather looks a little better next few days if we dont get another snow storm. Thanks again Jeff