PDA

View Full Version : Nuther Nube

Leinie
03-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Just found this site after two years of making syrup. This is my third season.
First year was 2 trees , 4 taps total of 1 gallon of liquid gold. (late start)
Second season was 4 trees 8 taps . total 5 gallons of liquid gold.
This season I will add 8 more taps, aquired a 55 gallon food grade storage barrel, and had a big pan made ( no more turkey fryer and $20 lp tanks) to sit on top of a modified gas grill converted to natural gas.

My plan is to have the storage tank on the deck and siphon feed to the cooker on the ground. My job today is to calibrate my siphon feed to about 5 gallons per hour drip to match the cooker test i did last week.

Would love to hear comments on my setup ideas, criticism welcome.
I know gas is $ but wood burning isn't in the cards for a couple years.

This is a hobby thing and syrup goes to school and church raffles, friends , relatives, etc.
Thanks for a great forum ! I could sit and read all day but there is work to do.

TF Maple
03-13-2010, 08:33 AM
One thing you won't get on this site is criticism. You will receive positive comments and encouragement no matter what size operation you have or how new you are to the maple world. You will also get many suggestions based on the experience and knowledge of everyone on the site.
Everyone does their own thing in their own way, whatever they can setup to enjoy this activity.
There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, I and many others have the least expensive setup they can put together (for now).
I see by your tapping numbers you are at least doubling your tap numbers every year. Enjoy the addiction and welcome to the site.

Haynes Forest Products
03-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Welcome We look forward to carfully critique every thing you tell us:lol: :lol: We will never make fun of spelling so fire at will