PDA

View Full Version : taps still dry ! Advice needed

Leinie
03-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I tapped my two big trees March 6th and so far nothing is running. This is near Shakopee. I plan on 6 more trees, 2 of those will have 2 or 3 taps.

Is it OK to leave a dry tap this long ? Can I go out and put the rest in ?

This is my third season and have always had sap the same day I tapped so I'm getting a little concerned.

Ausable
03-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Leinie - What is Your Weather like? If it is freezing at night and above freezing during the day I would go ahead and tap the other trees. If they are flowing - then I would pull the spiles on the trees you already tapped and clean out the holes a little with your drill and reinsert the spiles. However if You are way too warm with no flow - tap one or two other trees and see if you get a flow - never know. I have 55 tapped here and nothing - had one good day and then way too warm - my worst year in 15 years of tapping - but - I'll wait it out -- Good Luck -- Mike

Peepers
03-13-2010, 08:55 AM
It was too cold and now its too warm here around the twin cities. Hopefully we'll get into some good freeze/thaw weather soon although the forecast isn't looking good for another week. We've had just a little sap oozing out of a few trees so I think they're woke up now with this warm stretch, just need some freezing temps at night to get the sap going.

Leinie
03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Things are looking bleak for getting the night freeze for a bit. :(

SilverLeaf
03-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Another variable in all of this is what side of the tree the taps are on. I put out about 70 taps today, and for some reason the majority of the north-side taps were dripping right away, but on every single one of the south-side taps I was drilling thru bone dry wood.

RileySugarbush
03-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Leinie,

I am about 2 miles north of you in EP and I feel your pain!

140 taps in for a week and we just put 40 gallons into the the rig just to boil and sterilize the sap so it didn't spoil. Looks like another 6 days until we get a freeze. I wouldn't put your other taps in until the first ones start running.

Leinie
03-14-2010, 04:35 PM
First ones started running this morning ( or last night ? ) tapped the rest and all started right away. I might not need the cooker cause it's probably boiling in the pails :o

RileySugarbush
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Mine started running today as well. Despite the warm nighttime temps. Put in another 15. If it continues running we may even make a gallon or two

Riley/MN
03-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I just got home from a trade show in New Ulm, where I was worried about missing out on the action back home. Got here and my test taps are still as dry as a bone....

Peepers
03-15-2010, 06:38 AM
I had 3 of the 6 trees I tapped running good yesterday. So while not consistent I'll take it. Better weather in the forecast Riley/MN so hang in there!

Riley/MN
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Better weather in the forecast Riley/MN so hang in there!

Oh yeah, no worries...

Last year we put most of our taps in on either 3/16 or 3/19, so not too worried yet.

Makes me think tho... this trade fair I went to was all pre-1840 stuff. Back then the sugar was a staple to the natives... Do you think those guys got worried when they had a slow sap run in the spring?

lpakiz
03-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Peepers,
Do you know a lot of people in Hastings? My old (1969-70) Army buddy Wally Tix is from Hastings and is coming to Wisconsin Wed PM to help cook syrup. He lives out in the country on Orlando Ave...Ring any bells?

Peepers
03-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Ipakiz - I don't know Wally but it I'm almost his neighbor. I'm in a subdivision off of Hwy 316 between 190th and 200th streets, I drive past Orlando most every day. Does he have any maples we can tap? :D

I've never been to Greenwood, WI. My parents have a cottage in Phillips up Hwy 13 and my in-laws are Steven's Point so I breeze by on Hwy 29 several times a year. Maybe I'll have to swing by and say hi sometime.

We had some sap slowly running today, didn't freeze here last night so we didn't get a real good run. I think I have enough to sweeten the pans tomorrow tho. Yee-ha, let the boiling begin!!!!