PDA

View Full Version : My First Boil

CitySlicker
03-13-2010, 06:45 AM
hi guys - i thought some of you might enjoy my writeup of my first boildown.

http://fridayinvegas.blogspot.com/2010/03/project-maple.html

the post has pics and video - of our low-tech cinder block evaporator (Although we did add a nice little folding door and a flue pipe - and we're making more door improvements this week)

keep in mind that I lived in New York City for 10 years before moving to NH a few months ago!

Ausable
03-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Nice going -- Same problem here in March - Start off walking around on snow and ice and end up in muddy ooze - the boards make sense to me. Glad your maple syrup came out nice on your first try.. Mike

matrob
03-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Cityslicker,
Very nice blog about your first syruping. Hadn't heard of the bacon trick for foam. I use a very small amount of butter. It's amazing how little it takes, and usually one or two applications will do for a few hundred gallons of sap. We have no sap to speak of, as the weather turned warm too fast. But we share the mud. Keep enjoying your new place.

MapleME
03-13-2010, 07:47 AM
City- congrats!! As a fellow city slicker turned MaineAH, you will enjoy the country and all of the offerings it has beyond syrup. Thankfully syrup is a finite season, so you can then move on to hunting, fishing, hiking, kayaking, skiing......and the list goes on.

Welcome to new england! If you get up to Portland, give a jingle!