PDA

View Full Version : Furry little !@$##@ds

morningstarfarm
03-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Couldn't believe my eyes tonight...got out to the better running trees on my buckets..all of them were overturned and empty..surrounded by of all things deer tracks...methinks bambi has a death wish...:evil:

wnybassman
03-12-2010, 06:04 PM
That's all you need, a herd of deer all hopped up on sugar water :lol:

morningstarfarm
03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
right now I'm just hoping they taste better as sap fed venison lol

3rdgen.maple
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Deer have fur? I have picture of deer drinking out of my buckets. The big problem I have this year is I have dumped around a dozen buckets with mice floating in them. I just wish the deer would drink that sap instead of the good stuff.

Mac_Muz
03-13-2010, 08:58 AM
So far all I got is one red squirrel that perches on a bucket lid and eats pine cones. The buckets are joint compound type so he can't do too much, but make a mess on the lid.

Last summer in a barn with no human foods, or pet foods we had a lot of mice, so I made a bucket trap, a kind of sea saw with a bucket and a little water. That thing was catching mice with no bait!

Haynes Forest Products
03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Mac_Muz great trap they will keep coming all day long. Sprinkle a little Lye in the bottom so they can run around and coat them selves and put a bit of cheese at the end. YEEHA

Mac_Muz
03-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Well the bucket trap was baited once time, and with peanutbutter, that kinda' went to mold. I cleaned that off, and the trap still worked baitless. I sure don't know why.

All it is, is a joint compound bucket, a stick like a ruler wired to the rim, so it returns after being tipped into the bucket, so it re-sets itself.

6 inches of water seems to work fine, since mice don't appear to be good swimmers, or maybe they can't tread water for hours. I don't know and I don't feel bad about it either.

I take them out dead, and put them one or another wood pile and they are gone later that same day. So they are not wasted, since something is eatting them.

(OT, I am having a much better sap season for the first time at this location, and being the 3rd year and time. I like that! 35 bucket little hobby guy)