PDA

View Full Version : Heard the first peepers of the year last night

heus
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Was boiling until around 1130 or so. Heard dome peepers in the woods. (Saw a bald eagle at the sugarhouse before dark, too). Even though I heard peepers I think we are going to have another run next week. Supposed to go below freezing several nights in a row starting Monday. If my current taps dry up I am going to tap a bunch of new trees on buckets farther back into the woods.

Jeffery G.
03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Keep your fingers crossed man. I don't like the looks of the buds on the reds. Come on freeze!!!!!!!

Sugarbear
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
My grandfather used to say that the peepers had to be froze in three times before sugaring was over.

heus
03-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Jeff,
I passed you gathering sap across the road the other day. Nice Cub Cadet. Saw that you were boiling a couple says ago. Just finished the sweet left in my syrup pan. Have made 26.4 gallons. Hopefully its not over!

Jeffery G.
03-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks, I have only bottled 12.5 gal so far, but there is still what's left in the pans. I'm going to fire up for my son's scout troop today, but I would be shocked if we bring in more than 40 gallons this morning. If we don't get a freeze by the first of the week, we may be done.

heus
03-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Jeff,
The forecast I saw this morning says 31 Sun night, 31 Mon, then 29's the next few days after that.

wattwood1
03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Same here in Russell. I heard a single peeper about 11 or so last night- he didn't seem so sure about himself so I'll take that as a good sign that we're not out of the woods yet. The woodcock have been keeping me company since last weekend too. Always glad to have them back. Finished up the last of my sap about 1am. We'll see what next week brings... Rob Morgan

maple marc
03-13-2010, 09:16 AM
I learned from all you guys that "it ain't over 'til you hear the peepers." Well, I heard them in full chorus last night as I was grilling on the back porch. I hate to say it but it certainly shows signs of being over here in central Ohio. I am way behind last year's pace, with only 13 gallons bottled so far. In some years I have boiled up to March 28, but there is nothing in the 10-day forecast showing a freeze here. I hate to do it, but I am going to chase the sweet out of the pans today, then boil any remainder in a corn pot on the back porch. I plan to leave the taps in the trees, "just in case......"

2010--"The year it went from too cold to too warm in one week."