PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Mason 2X4.5 drop flue?

GANGGREEN
03-12-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm about 90% decided to upgrade and think that the Mason 2' X 4.5' drop flue fits me best and seems to be reasonably priced relative to the other similar sized units. Bill advertises 15-20 hours and I think that would suit me fine. I'm hoping to run 70-100 taps next year and don't really envision ever wanting to go bigger.

If anyone has this particular unit, or even the 2 X 6' drop flue or 2 X 4' hobby evaporator I'd love to hear your overall impressions. Are you making that 15-20 GPH? Is the unit well built overall? Are there instructions as to how to lay the firebrick for best efficiency? Would you buy the unit again? Go bigger? Stay smaller?

Thanks in advance, I'm hopeful that someone has the unit and has some thoughts.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
GANGGREEN
I purchased a 2x6 raised flue from WF last fall and it is everything he said it was. Only thing i would like is to be able to reverse my syrup pan. For the difference in price on what others get for there new equipment Bills stuff is a real bargain. I am very satisfied and would purchase from him again. I did not buy the arch from him i used my old 1.

RICH

GANGGREEN
03-13-2010, 03:46 AM
Rich, thanks for the response. I don't think I've heard much of anything bad about Bill Mason's product. I've heard of folks like yourself that have the 2X6 and others that have the hobby units but I still don't think I've ever heard of anyone that has the smaller drop flue unit.

Thanks again.

Gary R
03-13-2010, 06:07 AM
Ganggreen,

Where are you finding his advertisments? I know someone who's interested in his products. I know a trader that has a 2X4.5 drop tube Mason. The flue pan has stainless tubes in it. Not a conventional flue. He has added a hood and preheater. He likes it very much. I believe he gets 20-25 gph out of it. For 100 or so taps, it's a great size. No long nights

GANGGREEN
03-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't know that he advertises anywhere but I think you can PM or email him and he'll send his small brochure with price list.